BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

2015 Official Guide Data Sufficiency #172

Expert replies
by mattCFA2 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:21 pm
Is n an integer?
(1) n^2 is an integer

I said sufficient, because I thought of possibilities such as 1, 2, and 1/2 wouldn't work.
For statement 1, how on earth would anyone be expected to consider radical 2? It just seems that that would be so unrealistic to consider in the heat of the battle.
Are there any tips or rules I should be considering when I evaluate questions like this?
Any expert advice is much appreciated!

Matt
Join the discussion
Source: — Data Sufficiency |

by [email protected] » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:44 pm
Hi mattCFA2,

DS questions test a variety of skills (not just "math" skills), including thoroughness, accuracy, attention to detail, your ability to prove that something consistent is happening, etc. and certain DS questions aren't really about doing math at all.

Here, we're asked if N is an integer. That is a very specific YES/NO question.
For example, If N = -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc., then the answer to the question is YES.
For example, if N = -4.2, -1/2, +2/3, 117.3, then the answer to the question is NO.

Fact 1: N^2 is an INTEGER.

So, N^2 is a WHOLE NUMBER...

N^2 COULD = 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, etc.

If N^2 = 1, then N = 1 and the answer to the question is YES
If N^2 = 2, then N = (root2) and the answer to the question is NO.

I didn't have to go two far to find those results - I just TESTed the first two positive integers. Since the results are inconsistent (notice how I barely had to do any math), then Fact 1 is INSUFFICIENT.

From a tactical standpoint, the best general advice that I can offer is to be a little cynical. Finding the "first TEST" won't be hard, but think about what else is possible (and sometimes you might have to "play around" a bit to find that alternative result).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]
Image
Join the discussion

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:00 pm
mattCFA2 wrote:Is n an integer?
(1) n^2 is an integer

I said sufficient, because I thought of possibilities such as 1, 2, and 1/2 wouldn't work.
For statement 1, how on earth would anyone be expected to consider radical 2? It just seems that that would be so unrealistic to consider in the heat of the battle.
Are there any tips or rules I should be considering when I evaluate questions like this?
Any expert advice is much appreciated!

Matt
This is a common trap on the GMAT.
Unless told otherwise, you need to consider integer values, negative/positive values, rational (fractional) values and even irrational values (like √2)

The mistake you made is covered in our free videos titled "Avoiding Common Mistakes - Part I" and "Avoiding Common Mistakes - Part II"

You can find them here: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-data-sufficiency

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com
Image
Join the discussion