BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Cost per Season

Expert replies
by voodoo_child » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:02 pm
Jack needs workers to clean his driveway for the current season. Each worker costs $4000/month. The current season has 5 months, and Jack is willing to hire 150 workers per season. What will be the cost per season incurred by Jack?

A $600K
B $120K
C $300K
D $200K
E $100K

OA A
Source - GMAT Book by Kaplan/Princeton (I forgot)

I am not sure how I can represent current wage -- is it $4000/month/person or $4000/person/month or $4000/(person * month). Here's why:

Case (i) Wage = $4000/month/person

150 people are hired in one season, and there are 5 months in one season.

Therefore #of months/person = 5 month/season * 1 season/150 person = 1 month / 30 person.

Therefore, total cost = $4000/(month/person) * 1 month / 30 person = $4000/30 (What will be the unit? I believe "$")

Case (ii) Wage = $4000/(month*person)
Therefore total cost =$4000/(month*person) * 5 months/ season * 150 people / season = $4000*5*150 / season = $3000K / season (what will be the unit? 1/season^2?)

Case (iii) Wage = $4000/person/month
Therefore total cost = $4000 / person / month * (150 person / season) * (1 season/month) = $120K (units = $/(month)^2?? or $/month?) I really confused. Therefore, total cost per season = $120K * 5 = $600K

I am not sure which case is correct/incorrect and why. I would appreciate any help.

Thanks
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by [email protected] » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:06 pm
Hi voodoo_child,

I think that there's at least 1 typo in this question. Since you can't remember the source, then how did you transcribe this prompt?

This is essentially a "rate" question, so you should organize it in whichever way is easiest for you.

Let's start with 1 worker....

1 worker = $4,000/month
1 worker = $20,000/5 months

150 workers for 5 months --> (150)($20,000) = $3,000,000

Since this answer is not among the answer choices, either the prompt has typos or the answer choices have typos.

If Jack hired 30 workers (instead of the 150 that are listed in the prompt), then the cost would be $600,000. I only bring this up because in one of your "possible explanations", you reference 30 workers (and not 150).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]
Image
Join the discussion

by voodoo_child » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:31 pm
[email protected] wrote:Hi voodoo_child,

I think that there's at least 1 typo in this question. Since you can't remember the source, then how did you transcribe this prompt?

This is essentially a "rate" question, so you should organize it in whichever way is easiest for you.

Let's start with 1 worker....

1 worker = $4,000/month
1 worker = $20,000/5 months

150 workers for 5 months --> (150)($20,000) = $3,000,000

Since this answer is not among the answer choices, either the prompt has typos or the answer choices have typos.

If Jack hired 30 workers (instead of the 150 that are listed in the prompt), then the cost would be $600,000. I only bring this up because in one of your "possible explanations", you reference 30 workers (and not 150).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Rich,
Thank you so much for your response. Here's the official text. I wroted this question in my notes and lost the original book while moving. However, I do have the notes. Here's the exact text about wages.

"Jack will need to hire 150 people for the whole season, but the actual number of workers per month varies and can get as high as 60. Jack will have to pay workers for the whole month, even if he needs them only for one week. Each worker costs $4,000 / month, and there are 5 months in the season."

I think the author is saying that Jack can hire only 150 workers in 5 months, which averages to 30 workers in one month.
I generally convert the hourly wages to the form $X / person / time-frame. For instance, $x/person/hours etc. However, I was a bit lost in this question because I could have three possible scenarios highlighted above.
Could it be $X/ (time * person), OR $X / person/time OR $x/time/person. I am a bit lost. In each of these cases, I got a different answer. Moreover, the units are all over the place i.e. 1/month^2 or even 1/season^2. I am not really sure.

I would appreciate if you could clarify this for me. I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks in advance.
Join the discussion

by [email protected] » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:20 am
Hi voodoo_child,

If what you copied down is the exact wording of the prompt, then WHAT is the exact question (I don't see one written here)? As it stands, this is a poorly worded prompt.

The concept of "rates" will show up on the GMAT in a number of forms, but this question is NOT written in proper GMAT-style, so you should ignore it. I'd also be suspicious of any source that presents questions written in this way.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]
Image
Join the discussion