First post, so please bear with me. I am struggling with the first steps on this problem:
5^3 x (5^4)^y / (5^y)^3
5^3 x (5^4)^y / (5^y)^3
BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course
RedeemTarget Test Prep · GMAT
Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer
Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

with Logan Thompson
Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.
Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.
I'm assuming that the "x" is a variable and not a multiplication symbol.gouldimal wrote:
5^3 x (5^4)^y / (5^y)^3
For multiplication, it's best to just place the parts in brackets. For example, write (5)(3) rather than 5 x 3gouldimal wrote:Brent, I think I may have confused things with the x, as it was meant to be multiplication, not a second variable. Is there a better convention for writing problems?
Thanks!
New here Create free account