BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Data Sufficiency question from Manhattan GMAT CAT

Expert replies
by tomada » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:30 pm
I purchased 6 CATs through the Manhattan GMAT website. This Data Sufficiency question comes from one such test.
My answer conflicts with the answer provided by Manhattan GMAT and, after reviewing my logic multiple times, I'm still not able to see why my answer is incorrect. I won't post the answer given by Manhattan GMAT until a few people comment.


Is the product st negative?

(1) s2 - s < 0
(2) (s-4)/(t-3) = 1
I'm really old, but I'll never be too old to become more educated.
Join the discussion
Source: — Data Sufficiency |

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:47 pm
tomada wrote: Is the product st negative?

(1) s² - s < 0
(2) (s-4)/(t-3) = 1
Target question: Is the product st negative?

Statement 1: s² - s < 0
No information about t, so there's no way to determine whether or not st is negative.
Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, statement 1 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Statement 2: (s-4)/(t-3) = 1
This means that s - 4 = t - 3
Rearrange to get: t = s - 1
There are several values of s and t that satisfy this condition. Here are two:
Case a: s = 4 and t = 3, in which case st is positive
Case b: s = 0.5 and t = -0.5, in which case st is negative
Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, statement 2 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Statements 1 and 2 combined
Statement 1 tells us that s² - s < 0
Factor to get: s(s - 1) < 0

From statement 2, we determined that t = s - 1

So, let's take s(s - 1) < 0 and replace (s - 1) with t to get: s < t
So, st must be negative
Since we can answer the target question with certainty, the combined statements are SUFFICIENT

Answer = C

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com
Image
Join the discussion

by Bill@VeritasPrep » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:48 pm
For s*t to be negative, either s or t must be negative.

From statement 1:

s^2 - s < 0

s^2 < s

If squaring s gives you a smaller value, then s must be a positive fraction less than 1. Since we don't know anything about t, we don't know if the product is negative. Insufficient

From statement 2:

(s-4)/(t-3) = 1

s - 4 = t - 3

s = t + 1

We can get a positive product (if t=3 and s=4, for example) or a negative product ( t= -1/2 and s = 1/2) here, so it is also insufficient.

Together:

If 0 < s < 1, and s = t + 1, then 0 < t+1 < 1, or -1 < t < 0. Thus, s is a positive fraction, t is a negative fraction, and s*t is negative. Sufficient.
Join Veritas Prep's 2010 Instructor of the Year, Matt Douglas for GMATT Mondays

Visit the Veritas Prep Blog

Try the FREE Veritas Prep Practice Test
Join the discussion

by Bill@VeritasPrep » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:50 pm
Brent@GMATPrepNow wrote:
Statement 2: (s-4)/(t-3) = 1
This means that s - 4 = t - 3
Rearrange to get: t = s - 1
There are several values of s and t that satisfy this condition. Here are two:
Case a: s = 4 and t = 3, in which case st is positive
Case b: s = 0.5 and t = -0.5, in which case st is negative
Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, statement 2 is NOT SUFFICIENT
Ha, those are the exact values I tested. Great minds and all that :D
Join Veritas Prep's 2010 Instructor of the Year, Matt Douglas for GMATT Mondays

Visit the Veritas Prep Blog

Try the FREE Veritas Prep Practice Test
Join the discussion

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:08 pm
Bill@VeritasPrep wrote: Ha, those are the exact values I tested. Great minds and all that :D
Perhaps we were separated at birth?

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com
Image
Join the discussion

by tomada » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:20 pm
I thank both of you for responding and for highlighting the mistake I made. I proceeded from a baseless assumption that 'S' and 'T' were integers. When I saw the values "-1/2" and "1/2" to show how the product could be negative, I emitted a silently potent "ohhhhhh".
I'm really old, but I'll never be too old to become more educated.
Join the discussion

by Bill@VeritasPrep » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:24 pm
tomada wrote:I thank both of you for responding and for highlighting the mistake I made. I proceeded from a baseless assumption that 'S' and 'T' were integers. When I saw the values "-1/2" and "1/2" to show how the product could be negative, I emitted a silently potent "ohhhhhh".
Trust me, I know that feeling :D Once you get burned a few times, you start to catch those little twists in the wording. DS questions are very deliberate and consistent with the terminology used.
Join Veritas Prep's 2010 Instructor of the Year, Matt Douglas for GMATT Mondays

Visit the Veritas Prep Blog

Try the FREE Veritas Prep Practice Test
Join the discussion