Statement 1: 4x=3y
It can be helpful to put one variable in terms of the other:
x = (3/4)y.
Case 1: y=4, x=3
In this case, x<y.
Case 2: y=-4, x=-3
In this case, x>y.
INSUFFICIENT.
Statement 2: |y-x| = x-y
Since the lefthand side must be NONNEGATIVE, so must the righthand side:
x-y≥0
x≥y.
Since it's possible that x=y or that x>y, INSUFFICIENT.
Statements combined:
Statement 2 implies that x=y or that x>y.
Since xy≠0, it's not possible that x=y in statement 1.
Thus, both statements are satisfied only if x>y.
SUFFICIENT.
The correct answer is
C.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.
As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.
For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at
[email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3