BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Standard Deviation

Expert replies
by Uva@90 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:47 pm
The table below represents three sets of numbers with their respective medians, means and standard deviations. The third set, Set [A+B], denotes the set that is formed by combining Set A and Set B.

-----:Median,Mean,StandardDeviation
Set A: X, Y, Z.
Set B: L, M, N.
Set[A + B]: Q, R, S.
If X - Y > 0 and L - M = 0, then which of the following must be true?
I. Z > N
II. R > M
III. Q > R
(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) III only
(D) I and II only
(E) None

OA E
Known is a drop Unknown is an Ocean
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:23 am
Uva@90 wrote:The table below represents three sets of numbers with their respective medians, means and standard deviations. The third set, Set [A+B], denotes the set that is formed by combining Set A and Set B.

-----:Median,Mean,StandardDeviation
Set A: X, Y, Z.
Set B: L, M, N.
Set[A + B]: Q, R, S.

If X - Y > 0 and L - M = 0, then which of the following must be true?
I. Z > N
II. R > M
III. Q > R

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) III only
(D) I and II only
(E) None

OA E
I don't this could ever be a true GMAT, since it's a total time killer (unless I'm missing a very easy approach)

We're asked to determine which MUST be true. So, if we can find a counter-example to a statement, then we can eliminate that statement.

First of all, we need to find two sets (sets A and B) that meet the criteria that X - Y > 0 and L - M = 0. This alone took some time to wrap my head around and find two sets that meet these conditions.

FULL DISCLOSURE: Once I found 2 sets that worked for the above conditions, it turned out they they proved to be counter-examples for all three statements. So, I think I got lucky.

Here are my sets:
Set A: {1, 5, 6} [notice that median - mean > 0]
Set B: {1, 100} [notice that median - mean = 0]
So, the combined set is {1, 1, 5, 6, 100}

I. Z > N
This suggests that the standard deviation (SD) of set A is greater than the standard deviation of set B
We can see that this is not true.
The SD of {1, 5, 6} is NOT greater than the SD of {1, 100}
So, statement I NEED NOT BE TRUE

II. R > M
This suggests that the mean of the combined set is greater than the mean of set B
We can see that this is not true.
The mean of {1, 1, 5, 6, 100} is NOT greater than the mean of {1, 100}
So, statement II NEED NOT BE TRUE

III. Q > R
This suggests that the median of the combined set is greater than the mean of the combined set.
We can see that this is not true.
The median of {1, 1, 5, 6, 100} is NOT greater than the mean of {1, 1, 5, 6, 100}
So, statement III NEED NOT BE TRUE

Aside: I'll leave it to you to make the necessary calculations to verify my conclusions

Since none of the statements must be true, the correct answer is E

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com
Image
Join the discussion

by [email protected] » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:58 pm
Hi Uva@90,

I agree with Brent on the likelihood of you (or anyone, for that matter) seeing a question such as this on the Official GMAT. A 9-variable Roman Numeral question would be outside the boundaries of a typical GMAT.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]
Image
Join the discussion