BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Stuck with combinations!

Expert replies
by Uva@90 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:37 am
A committee of 6 is chosen from 8 men and 5 women so as to contain at least 2 men and 3 women. How many different committees could be formed if two of the men refuse to serve together?
(A) 3510
(B) 2620
(C) 1404
(D) 700
(E) 635

OA E

I proceeded the above problem as below,
Committee of 6 members can be chosen by
(8C2*5C4) + (8C3*5C3) = 700
I am struck here,
I unable to handle this condition
two of the men refuse to serve together
But I know something to be subtracted from 700.
So I went for E, only option less than 700.
But I would like to learn how to calculate the above red colored one.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
Uva.
Known is a drop Unknown is an Ocean
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:27 am
Uva@90 wrote:A committee of 6 is chosen from 8 men and 5 women so as to contain at least 2 men and 3 women. How many different committees could be formed if two of the men refuse to serve together?
(A) 3510
(B) 2620
(C) 1404
(D) 700
(E) 635

OA E

I proceeded the above problem as below,
Committee of 6 members can be chosen by
(8C2*5C4) + (8C3*5C3) = 700
I am struck here,
I unable to handle this condition
two of the men refuse to serve together
But I know something to be subtracted from 700.
So I went for E, only option less than 700.
But I would like to learn how to calculate the above red colored one.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
Uva.
Let A and B = the two men who cannot serve together.
From the 700 committees you have counted, we must subtract the BAD committees: those that include both A and B.

Bad case 1: 3 women and 1 man are chosen to serve with A and B
Number of ways to choose 3 women from 5 options = 5C3 = (5*4*3)/(3*2*1) = 10.
Number of ways to choose 1 man from the 6 remaining men = 6C1 = 6.
To combine these options, we multiply:
10*6 = 60.

Bad case 2: 4 women are chosen to serve with A and B
Number of ways to choose 4 women from 5 options = (5*4*3*2)/(4*3*2*1) = 5.

Thus:
Good committees = 700-60-5 = 635.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3
Join the discussion

by Uva@90 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:54 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Let A and B = the two men who cannot serve together.
From the 700 committees you have counted, we must subtract the BAD committees: those that include both A and B.

Bad case 1: 3 women and 1 man are chosen to serve with A and B
Number of ways to choose 3 women from 5 options = 5C3 = (5*4*3)/(3*2*1) = 10.
Number of ways to choose 1 man from the 6 remaining men = 6C1 = 6.
To combine these options, we multiply:
10*6 = 60.

Bad case 2: 4 women are chosen to serve with A and B
Number of ways to choose 4 women from 5 options = (5*4*3*2)/(4*3*2*1) = 5.

Thus:
Good committees = 700-60-5 = 635.
Got it.

Thanks Mitch you made it clear.
Known is a drop Unknown is an Ocean
Join the discussion