BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Is y < 2x?

Expert replies
by melguy » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:06 am
Please help with the question. Thanks

I chose A as the answer considering we do not know if y and x are negative or positive for statement 2. But OA does not matches. I did it as per below to match my ans with OA

1. multiply both sides by 3
2. y-2x < 0
3. i.e. y<2x

Am I correct in doing the problem this way?

OA is D
Attachments
1.JPG
Join the discussion
Source: — Data Sufficiency |

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:00 am
melguy wrote:Please help with the question. Thanks

I chose A as the answer considering we do not know if y and x are negative or positive for statement 2. But OA does not matches. I did it as per below to match my ans with OA

1. multiply both sides by 3
2. y-2x < 0
3. i.e. y<2x

Am I correct in doing the problem this way?

OA is D
Your approach to statement 2 is perfect.

Is y < 2x?

Statement 1: y/4 < x/2.
Multiplying each side by 4, we get:
4 * (y/4) < 4 * (x/2)
y < 2x.
SUFFICIENT.

Statement 2: (y-2x)/3 < 0
Multiplying each side by 3, we get:
3 * (y-2x)/3 < 3 * 0
y-2x < 0
y < 2x.
SUFFICIENT.

The correct answer is D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3
Join the discussion

by melguy » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:26 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Statement 2: (y-2x)/3 < 0
Multiplying each side by 3, we get:
3 * (y-2x)/3 < 3 * 0
y-2x < 0
y < 2x.
SUFFICIENT.
Please correct me if I am wrong. I remember studying that we need to be careful of signs in inequalities. So how can we consider the possibility of variables being negative.

y < 2x or y > -2x in this case. As per OA we just assumed both variables are positive. If not in this case, plz let me know what are the scenarios in which we need to be careful about negatives and signs.
Thanks for your help.
Join the discussion

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:58 am
melguy wrote: Please correct me if I am wrong. I remember studying that we need to be careful of signs in inequalities. So how can we consider the possibility of variables being negative.

y < 2x or y > -2x in this case. As per OA we just assumed both variables are positive. If not in this case, plz let me know what are the scenarios in which we need to be careful about negatives and signs.
Thanks for your help.
If the process of simplifying an inequality requires that we multiply or divide each side by a VARIABLE WHOSE SIGN IS UNKNOWN, then we have to consider what will happen if the unknown variable is positive, 0, or negative.
To illustrate:

Is y > 2x?

Statement 1: (y-x)/x > 1
Case 1: x>0
Here, x is positive, so the direction of the inequality doesn't change when we simplify.
x * (y-x)/x > x * 1
y-x > x
y > 2x.

Case 2: x=0
Not possible, since (y-x)/x is undefined if x=0, and statement 2 indicates that (y-x)/x > 1.

Case 3: x<0
Here, x negative, so we must flip the direction of the inequality when we multiply each side by x:
x * (y-x)/x < x * 1
y-x < x
y < 2x.

Since y>2x in Case 1 but y<2x in Case 3, INSUFFICIENT.

Statement 2: x>0
No information about y.
INSUFFICIENT.

Statements combined:
Since x>0, only Case 1 above is viable, implying that y>2x.
SUFFICIENT.

The correct answer is C.

In my solution to the problem that you posted, at no point do I multiply or divide each side of an inequality by a variable whose sign is unknown.
Thus, different cases -- x>0, x=0, x<0 -- do not have to be considered.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3
Join the discussion

by melguy » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:07 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
In my solution to the problem that you posted, at no point do I multiply or divide each side of an inequality by a variable whose sign is unknown.
Thus, different cases -- x>0, x=0, x<0 -- do not have to be considered.
Thanks a lot GMATGuru :-) I was not considering the above key point.
Join the discussion