BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

help

Expert replies
by sana.noor » Fri May 24, 2013 9:52 am
If n and y are positive integers and 450y = n^3

Which of the following is an integer?

I. y / 3 x 2^2 x 5

II. y / 3^2 x 2 x 5

III. y / 3 x 2 x 3^2

A. I
B. II
C. III
D. I and II
E. I and II and III

OA is B but why not A
Work hard in Silence, Let Success make the noise.

If you found my Post really helpful, then don't forget to click the Thank/follow me button. :)
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by srcc25anu » Fri May 24, 2013 10:40 am
sana.noor wrote:If n and y are positive integers and 450y = n^3

Which of the following is an integer?

I. y / 3 x 2^2 x 5
II. y / 3^2 x 2 x 5
III. y / 3 x 2 x 3^2

A. I
B. II
C. III
D. I and II

E. I and II and III
The correct question and correct answer choices are as follows:

If n and y are positive integers and 450y = n^3, which of the following must be an interger

I. y/ (3 * 2^2 * 5)

II. y/ (3^2 * 2 * 5)

III. y/ 3 * 2 * 5^2

A. None.
B. I only.
C. II only.
D. III only.
E. I, II, and III
Last edited by srcc25anu on Fri May 24, 2013 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Join the discussion

by srcc25anu » Fri May 24, 2013 10:43 am
450 y = 2 * 3^2 * 5^2 y = n^3
hence y must atleast be 2^2 * 3 * 5
therefore I is clearly true.

II has 2 powers of 3 which y may or maynot have hence NOT necessarily an Integer
III has 2 powers of 5. Again Y for sure has 1 power of 5 but we cant say for sure whether it has 2 powers of 5 or not. It may or may not be true

Hence only statement I is true
Ans B
Join the discussion

by ceilidh.erickson » Fri May 24, 2013 10:48 am
Where did you find this question? You're right, the given answer doesn't make sense. Furthermore, a real GMAT question would have said "which of the following MUST be an integer?" All 3 of the answer choices could potentially be integers, but only the first one must be.

If n^3 = 450y, then n^3 = (2)(3^2)(5^2)y

Since we know that in any cube, all of the prime factors must be in groups of 3, then we know that y must contain at least the extra factors to get us to (2^3)(3^3)(5^3). 450 on contains one 2, two 3's, and two 5's. So, y must contain at least (2^2)(3)(5) to get three of each factor. y might also contain other prime factors in groups of 3 - it might contain 7^3, or an extra 3^3, etc - but we don't know. All that we know it that it must contain at least (2^2)(3)(5) to make n^3 a cube.

If y contains (2^2)(3)(5), then it will be divisible by those things. So, statement I must be an integer. However, we can't prove that y is definitely divisible by 3^2 (unless it's also divisible by 3^4 - the extra 1, plus another set of 3). Statement II is actually wrong.

Beware of studying from sources that contain incorrect information!
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education
Join the discussion