BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

The operation (*)

Expert replies
by metallicafan » Tue May 07, 2013 11:59 am
If the operation (*) is defined for all integers a and b by a (*) b = a + b - ab, which of the following statements must be true for all integers, a, b, and c?

I. a (*) b = b (*) a
II. a (*) 0 = a
III. (a*b)*c = a*(b*c)

Here was a question that I was wondering if anyone could offer a simpler method for calculating out option III?, a simpler method than using algebra or picking numbers, please?
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by GMATGuruNY » Tue May 07, 2013 12:22 pm
If the operation @ is defined for all integers a and b by a@b = a+b-ab, which of the following statements must be true for all integers a, b, and c?

I. a@b = b@a
II. a@0 = a
III. (a@b) @ c = a @ (b@c)

I only
II only
I and II only
I and III only
I, II, and III
a@b = a + b - ab.
In other words, a@b = SUM - PRODUCT.

Statement I is included in four of the five answer choices.
Thus, it is almost certain that statement I must be true.
Otherwise, a test-taker will be able to eliminate four answer choices simply by evaluating statement I.
To save time, start with statement II.

To make the process easier, plug in values.
Let a=2, b=3, and c=10.

Statement II: a@0 = a
2@0 = 2
2+0 - (2*0) = 2
2 = 2.
On the left side, we simply added and subtracted 0 from the value of a=2.
From this example, we can see that statement II will be true for any integer value of a.
Eliminate A and D, which do not include statement II.

Statement III: (a@b) @ c = a @ (b@c)
First calculate the values INSIDE THE PARENTHESES.

(2@3) @ 10 = 2 @ (3@10)

(2+3 - 2*3) @ 10 = 2 @ (3+10 - 3*10)

-1 @ 10 = 2 @ -17

-1 + 10 - (-1*10) = 2 + (-17) - (2)(-17)

19 = 19.

When a=2, b=3 and c=10, statement III is true.
While not a definitive proof, it seems VERY unlikely that these 3 randomly selected values would prove to be an exceptional case.
Eliminate B and C, which do not include statement III.

The correct answer is E.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3
Join the discussion

by Blue_Skies » Tue May 07, 2013 12:30 pm
1 and 2 are clearly true. you can solve 3 by plugging numbers or by algebric approach. 3 will also qualify.
Join the discussion