A cash register in a certain clothing store is the same distance from two dressing rooms in the store.If the distance between the two dressing rooms is 16 feet, which of the following could be the distance between the cash register and either dressing room?
I 6 feet
II 12 feet
III 24 feet
I only
II only
III only
I and II
II and III
Let A = the cash register, B = one of the dressing rooms, and C = the other dressing room.
The three points A, B, and C form ∆ABC.
Since the cash register is the same distance from each dressing room, AB = AC.
Since the distance between the dressing rooms is 16 feet, BC = 16.
Thus, ∆ABC is an isosceles triangle, where AB=AC and BC = 16.
The THIRD SIDE of a triangle must be LESS THAN THE SUM of the lengths of the other two sides.
Thus:
BC < AB+AC
16 < AB+AC
AB + AC > 16.
Since AB=AC, we get:
AB + AB > 16
2(AB) > 16
AB > 8.
Of the three options for AB -- 6, 12, and 24 -- only II and III are possible.
The correct answer is
E.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.
As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.
For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at
[email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3