BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Consecutive numbers

Expert replies
by sri_r » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:41 am
If the sum of n consecutive integers is 2, which of the following
must be true?
I. n is an even number
II. n is an odd number
III. The median of the n integers is equal to the average
(arithmetic mean).
(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) III only
(D) I and III
(E) II and III

For case (I) to be true, the only possible set of values is {-1,0,1,2}. But suppose if n is 2, then there won't be any solution. The question asks for "must be" true and not "could be".

So I think the answer for this question is C.

Is it right?
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:14 am
sri_r wrote:If the sum of n consecutive integers is 2, which of the following
must be true?
I. n is an even number
II. n is an odd number
III. The median of the n integers is equal to the average
(arithmetic mean).
(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) III only
(D) I and III
(E) II and III

For case (I) to be true, the only possible set of values is {-1,0,1,2}. But suppose if n is 2, then there won't be any solution. The question asks for "must be" true and not "could be".

So I think the answer for this question is C.

Is it right?
You're correct - the answer is C

First off, there's a nice rule that says, "If the numbers in a set are equally spaced, then the mean and median of that set are equal"
Since the numbers in this question are consecutive (which are equally spaced), we know that the mean = median.
This means that statement III must be true, so we can eliminate answer choices A and B.

Regarding the even/odd thing, consider two possible cases.
Case a: The numbers are {-1, 0, 1, 2} in which case the sum is 2 and there are 4 integers, which means n is even
Case b: The number is {2} in which case the sum is 2 and there is 1 integer, which means n is odd
Since n need not be even or odd, statements I and II need not be true.

Answer = C

Aside: I have a feeling that you're asking this question because you're curious whether one number (as in case b) can be consider "consecutive integers." I've never seen a GMAT question hinge on this concept. So, if a question were to exclude the possibility of having 1 consecutive integer, there would be some wording around that. Since there's no such wording here, I believe the answer is C.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com
Image
Join the discussion

by Rudy414 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:55 am
If the sum of n consecutive integersis 2, which of the following
must be true?
Case b: The number is {2} in which case the sum is 2 and there is 1 integer, which means n is odd
Doesn't the word 'integers' imply that n > 1, and since it represents a set of integers,it can't just be the number 2? As far as I can tell, the only possible solution for n consecutive integers that equal 2 is {-1, 0, 1, 2}, and that means n is even. So isn't I. true also?
Join the discussion

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:13 am
Rudy414 wrote: Doesn't the word 'integers' imply that n > 1, and since it represents a set of integers,it can't just be the number 2? As far as I can tell, the only possible solution for n consecutive integers that equal 2 is {-1, 0, 1, 2}, and that means n is even. So isn't I. true also?
No, the word "integers" does not imply that n > 1.
Similarly, if a question says that "Joe has x children" we cannot assume that Joe has more than 1 child because "children" is plural.

Take this official guide question: If q is an odd number and the median of q consecutive integers is 120, what is the largest of these integers?

Here, the words "consecutive integers" do not rule out the possibility that the set = {120}. In fact, the fastest approach to the question is to consider this possibility.

See https://www.beatthegmat.com/og13-q91-wor ... 18035.html for the complete question (and 2 different solutions).

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com
Image
Join the discussion

by Rudy414 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:37 am
Thanks. I find that wording of the question to be confusing, but that example does make a lot of sense.
Join the discussion