dhairya275 wrote:Is a^3 > a^2?
(1) 1/a > a
(2) a^5 > a^3
a³ > a² only if a≠0.
If a≠0, then a² is positive, implying that we can safely divide each side of the question stem by a²:
a³/a² > a²/a²
a>1.
Question rephrased: Is a>1?
Statement 1: 1/a > a
No value greater than 1 will work here:
SUFFICIENT.
Statement 2: a� > a³
a� > a³ only if a≠0.
If a≠0, then a² is positive, implying that we can safely divide each side here by a²:
a�/a² > a³/a²
a³ > a.
It's possible that a=2, since 2³ > 2.
It's possible that a=-1/2, since (-1/2)³ > -1/2.
INSUFFICIENT.
The correct answer is
A.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.
As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.
For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at
[email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3