BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Inductive Quant

Expert replies
by damilolaamele » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:24 pm
Please can someone assist me with this question? Been trying to figure out how to approach it.

Last month, 15 homes were sold in town X. The average (arithmetic mean) sale price of the homes was $150,000 and the median sale price was $130,000. Which of the following statements must be true?

I) At least one of the homes was sold for more than $165,00
II) At least one of the homes was sold for more than $130,000 and less than $150,000
III) At least one of the homes was sold for less than $130,000

a) I only
b) II only
c) III only
d) I and II
e) I and III

[spoiler]OA: A[/spoiler]
Source: GMAT Practice Test.
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:28 pm
damilolaamele wrote:Please can someone assist me with this question? Been trying to figure out how to approach it.

Last month, 15 homes were sold in town X. The average (arithmetic mean) sale price of the homes was $150,000 and the median sale price was $130,000. Which of the following statements must be true?

I) At least one of the homes was sold for more than $165,00
II) At least one of the homes was sold for more than $130,000 and less than $150,000
III) At least one of the homes was sold for less than $130,000

a) I only
b) II only
c) III only
d) I and II
e) I and III

[spoiler]OA: A[/spoiler]
Source: GMAT Practice Test.
Let's looks at one possible scenario and then see which answer choices we can eliminate.

Aside: To make things simpler, let's divide all of the prices by 1000.

First, we'll use a nice rule that says: sum of all values = (mean)(number of values)
So, the sum of all 15 prices = ($150)(15) = $2250.

If the median is $130, then the middlemost value is $130

So, one possible scenario is:
130, 130, 130, 130, 130, 130, 130, 130, 130, 130, 130, 130, 130, 130, 130, 430

Aside: To find the last value (430), I took the sum of all 15 numbers (2250) and subtracted (14)(130)

Notice that this scenario tells us that II and III need not be true.

Since answer choices B, C, D and E all include either II or III, we can eliminate them.

This leaves us with A, which must be the correct answer.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com
Image
Join the discussion

by damilolaamele » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:29 pm
Thanks a lot Brent. I was just wondering, what if one or more of the other options did not rule out II and III? what would have been the next step to take?
Join the discussion

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:42 am
I'm not entirely sure what you mean.
Are you asking what I'd do if one or more of the three statements were different, or what I'd do if one or more of the five answer choices were different?

When it comes to questions asking what must be true, it's often easiest to eliminate answer choices by looking for counter-examples. Alternatively, we must use some math/deductive to demonstrate that a certain statement is always true.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com
Image
Join the discussion