BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

MGMAT: Inequalities & Absolute Value (why did A.V. pop u

Expert replies
by ostrowskiamy » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:14 pm
Hi folks! I ran into another tough spot during a seemingly-simple inequality question:

(x+1)(^2) < 36
sq.root of this is < 36
I x +1 I < 6
-7 < x < 5

I mostly understand why I need to put the absolute value brackets in, during the third step...but I think that's mostly because I know I'm working with absolute values & just studied that section of the book! How can I remember to do that on test day? Should I ALWAYS do that when working with inequalities, where part of the solution (here, the variable) is in parentheses?

Thanks again!

Best,
Amy
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by mkdureja » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:15 am
Reason why you need to use absolute values in this case is:

For any negative number, its square is +ve, eg. 5² = -5² = 25
In solving any problem, remember if x² = 25 , then x can be either +5 or -5.
Of course, in some problems, like if problem asks you to say, number of people, which can't be a -ve value, you can ignore the negative value in that case, but in other cases, be it inequality problem, or any other problem, you have to consider the negative value.

Take the case of cubes, cube of a -ve number is -ve., ie. 5³ = 125. and -5³ = -125.
So, if the above problem would've been (x+1)³<125, you dont need to use absolute value in this case.,
answer of this would be x+1<5, or x<4.

When dealing with even exponents, you have to use absolute value brackets.

Hope its clear to you.
Join the discussion

by Anurag@Gurome » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:24 am
ostrowskiamy wrote:I mostly understand why I need to put the absolute value brackets in, during the third step...but I think that's mostly because I know I'm working with absolute values & just studied that section of the book! How can I remember to do that on test day?
Just remember that by definition square root of any algebraic quantity x² is |x|
Hence, square root of (x + 1)² is |x + 1|, square root of (x + y + z + 2xy + abc)² i |x + y + z + 2xy + abc| etc.

For a more detailed explanation, refer to the post here >> https://www.beatthegmat.com/contradictor ... tml#476587
Anurag Mairal, Ph.D., MBA
GMAT Expert, Admissions and Career Guidance
Gurome, Inc.
1-800-566-4043 (USA)

Join Our Facebook Groups
GMAT with Gurome
https://www.facebook.com/groups/272466352793633/
Admissions with Gurome
https://www.facebook.com/groups/461459690536574/
Career Advising with Gurome
https://www.facebook.com/groups/360435787349781/
Join the discussion

by Anurag@Gurome » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:43 am
ostrowskiamy wrote:Hi folks! I ran into another tough spot during a seemingly-simple inequality question:

(x+1)(^2) < 36
There is another way to solve this problem without bringing absolute values if you're not confident with them.

--> (x + 1)² < 36
--> (x + 1)² - 6² < 0
--> (x + 1 - 6)(x + 1 + 6) < 0
--> (x - 5)(x + 7) < 0

Hence, (x - 5) and (x + 7) are of opposite signs.
Hence, the following two cases are possible...
  • 1. (x - 5) < 0 and (x + 7) > 0 ---> x < 5 and x > -7 ---> -7 < x < 5
    2. (x - 5) > 0 and (x + 7) < 0 ---> x > 5 and x < -7 --> Not possible
Hence, -7 < x < 5
Anurag Mairal, Ph.D., MBA
GMAT Expert, Admissions and Career Guidance
Gurome, Inc.
1-800-566-4043 (USA)

Join Our Facebook Groups
GMAT with Gurome
https://www.facebook.com/groups/272466352793633/
Admissions with Gurome
https://www.facebook.com/groups/461459690536574/
Career Advising with Gurome
https://www.facebook.com/groups/360435787349781/
Join the discussion