BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

og ps 123

Expert replies
by resilient » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:09 pm
I believe I am making this much harder than it really is. please let me know.

The price of lunch for 15 peoplewas $207.00including a 15% gratuity for service. What was the average price per person, Excluding gratuity?

a.11.73
b.12.00
c.13.80
d.14.00
e.15.87

qa iis B i chose A
Appetite for 700 and I scraped my plate!
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

Re: og ps 123

by mleviko » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:57 am
Enginpasa1 wrote:I believe I am making this much harder than it really is. please let me know.

The price of lunch for 15 peoplewas $207.00including a 15% gratuity for service. What was the average price per person, Excluding gratuity?

a.11.73
b.12.00
c.13.80
d.14.00
e.15.87

qa iis B i chose A
I would simply plug-in the results and see what fits. The most attractive option to start with is B , because 12 is an easy to number to do calc with.

If the average price per person is 12, then 15 people paid 15 X 12 = 180 for their lunch, without gratuity. gratuity is 15%, or 180 X 15 / 100 = 27. 180 + 27 = 207 which was the total price they paid, so answer B.
Smashed the GMAT: 760
Join the discussion

by smushkas » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:39 am
Hey there,
If you got [A], then must be doing it this way [0.85*207] / 15 = 11.73. But, it should be done in a slightly different way
==> [207 / 1.15] / 15 = 180 / 15 = 12

Hope this helps!
Join the discussion

ok

by resilient » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:47 am
i often forget to combine the two percents in that manner.. I also keep forgetting of a great tool of backsolving. thanks folks[spoiler][/spoiler]
Appetite for 700 and I scraped my plate!
Join the discussion

by vaghul » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:00 pm
Common mistake is calculating tip as 15% of total bill (207 in this case)...

It should be, Original amount (x) + 15% of x = 207.
Join the discussion

by Thouraya » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:27 am
thanks for pointing this out Vaghul.. but I didn't understand why it's wrong if I assume that the total amount is 207 and then: 207- 15/100 (207) I would come up with original amount?
Join the discussion

by mcdesty » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:24 am
X(Lunch Price) + 15%X = 207
X( 1 + 3/20) = 207
23X/20=207
X= 180
Average = 180(Lunch price)/15(Number of people)
Average = 12

The key here is realizing that 15% is 3/20...and that 207/23 is 9..(This question shouldn't take you more the 40 secs if you recognize these two steps)

I don't like the testing numbers strategy because if you aren't lucky, you will waste time.

IF YOU HAVE TO MULTIPLY OR DIVIDE A PERCENT/DECIMAL, CONSIDER FRACTIONS!!
Join the discussion

by buzzdeepak » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:57 pm
yea, good point...you can get stuck in endless calculations which might take forever in GMAT to calculate 207/1.15.

I realized this and then used second method - substituting the answers and luckily 12 (first easy number) worked out perfectly.

But, I agree, fractions work better / quicker in this case.
Join the discussion