BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

function malfunction

Expert replies
by jzw » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:03 pm
I don't get what I'm not getting. I do understand the concept of functions, they don't "scare me" per se, but I can't understand why the answer choice is D and not A. Meaning, doesn't 1/1/6 become 6? Because you multiply the numerator and denominator by 6/1 in order to get rid of the 1/ ?
Attachments
photo.PNG
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by bajjuri6 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:27 pm
I think it may be easier if you tear up the problem into smaller bits. For this particular one, you must find g(2) and g(x) first. g(x) is given.

=> 1/g(x) = (x - 1) / (x^2 + 2)

g(2) = ((2^2) + 2)/(2-1) = 6

=> 1/g(2) = 1/6

So, 1/g(2) * 1/g(x) = (1/6) * (x-1)/(x^2 + 2)

So, the 6 must be in the denominator. Hope this helps.
Join the discussion

by jzw » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:46 pm
thanks for the response. i realized somewhere between my post and you're response that it was just careless math on my part which contributed to the error. thanks!
Join the discussion

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:49 pm
jzw wrote:I don't get what I'm not getting. I do understand the concept of functions, they don't "scare me" per se, but I can't understand why the answer choice is D and not A. Meaning, doesn't 1/1/6 become 6? Because you multiply the numerator and denominator by 6/1 in order to get rid of the 1/ ?
Let x=2.
Then g(x) = g(2) = (2² + 2)/(2-1) = 6.
Thus, 1/(g(2)) * 1/(g(x)) = 1/6 * 1/6 = 1/36. This is our target.

Now we plug x=2 into the answers to see which yields our target of 1/36.
Only answer choice D works:
(x-1) / 6(x²+2) = (2-1) / 6(2²+2) = 1/36.

The correct answer is D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3
Join the discussion

by jzw » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:01 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:Thus, 1/(g(2))= 1/6
REALLY happy to do plugging in here instead of solving "normally". But how is 1/(g(2)) = 1/6 ?

I get everything else - just this part is messing me up. I would have thought this becomes 12 (6 x 2). What am I missing? Thanks again, in advance.
Join the discussion

by alexander.vien » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:34 pm
If you think the answer choice is A, then I think the step that you're missing is on the second function, 1/g(x).

When we plug in (x^2+2)/(x-1) into 1/g(x) it's equivalent to division, so we must flip the expression and multiply it by 1 (also known as taking the reciprocal). Thus, we have (x-1)/(x^2+2).

To get 1/g(2) we must simply plug in 2 into the expression and then put a 1 over the result. So,

(2^2 + 2)/(2-1) = 6

So, g(2) = 6

Putting all this information together, 1/6 * (x-1)/(x^2+2) = (x-1)/6(x^2+2)

Answer choice D
Join the discussion

by buzzdeepak » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:20 am
g(2) = 6 (substituting x = 2 in the given equation)

Therefore, 1/g(2) * 1/g(x) = 1 / 6 * (x-1) / (x^2 + 2) = (x-1) / (6*(x^2 + 2))

Remember that both are reciprocals of the original equation. I think that's the only catch.

(Another method is compute g(2)*g(x) = 6 * given function and take reciprocal.)
Hope this helps...
Join the discussion