BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATBootcamp Starts Sep 28
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE BOOTCAMP

Live Online Bootcamp Class with Top GMAT Expert Chris Peckover

15 live classes from Sep 28, 2026

Schedule
Mon to Fri · 7:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Included
Live classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Boost your GMAT score in less than one month in a live online class
  • 6 months access to TTP OnDemand video courses included
View bootcamp & enroll
Limited cohort · enrollment openTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeach 5 seats left
Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll
Limited cohort · enrollment openTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Potentially stupid question

Problem Solving — algebra and arithmetic (GMAT Focus Edition)
Expert replies
by ukdave32 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:12 am
Hi all,

I am one of those high verbal/low quant people, at least from first diagnostic GMAT Prep test (though my job is quant-focused and I finished top of my undergrad class in economics 6 years ago). I am in the process of working through the MGMAT guides and a lot of what I did 5-6 years ago is thankfully coming back to me! However, I was stumped the other day by something seemingly easy (so easy the MGMAT team did not explain it). For those who have MGMAT Fifth Edition of Fractions, Decimals, and Percents, I refer specifically to pag 53, solution 1 where solving for Y.

In a nutshell, I need to solve the following for Y and cannot for the life of my understand step 3 to 4 below.

1) y/100 x 120 = 48

2) y/10 x 12 = 48 ....FINE SO FAR

3) y/5 x 6 = 48 .... FINE AGAIN

4) y = 48 x 5/6 .... HUH!? I REALLY DO NOT GET HOW THE 6 MOVES UNDER THE 5

5) y = 8 x 5/1 .... FINE

6) y - 40 .... FINE

Please could someone break down the logic/process for step 3 to step 4? I have been fine with the theory but am letting myself down with inability to do the operatings once I understand how to answer the question.

This may be a "duh" question, but would help me with a roadblock.

Many thanks in advance,
David
Join the discussion
Source: — Quantitative Reasoning |

by Armada0023 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:50 am
That is kinda screwy but here's how I debugged their work:

Y/5 * 6 = 48
...multiply that 6 (really 6/1) into Y/5:
6Y/5 = 48
...multiply both sides by 5/6 to cancel out the left side:
5/6 * 6Y/5 = 48 * 5/6
...turns into:
Y = 48 * 5/6
...then solve from there.

Not at all how I would have approached it. I too, am studying from the MGMAT books and noticed a few answer solutions that stray far from the quick and easy path (probably for good reason - forcing you to learn a different way/solution).
Last edited by Armada0023 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Join the discussion

by ukdave32 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:04 am
Really appreciate the quick and helpful response! :) Makes sense now.

Out of curiosity, how would you handle it if doing your own way?

Cheers
Join the discussion

by Armada0023 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:12 am
I would have done the following:

Y/5 * 6 = 48
Y/5 = 48/6
Y/5 = 8
Y = 8 * 5
Y = 40
Join the discussion

by ukdave32 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:55 am
Either I was way too tired when I was trying to solve, or the MGMAT approach through me for a loop!

Thanks a lot
Join the discussion

by Jim@StratusPrep » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:49 am
You are simply multiplying both sides of the equation by 6/5
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

Image
Join the discussion