BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Properties of numbers + Range of set

Expert replies
by Anindya Madhudor » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:45 am
S is a set of positive integers. The average of the terms in S is equal to the range of the terms in S. What is the sum of all the integers in S?

i. The range of S is a prime number that is less than 11 and is not a factor of 10.
ii. S is composed of 5 different integers.
Join the discussion
Source: — Data Sufficiency |

by JaneCassie » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:29 pm
First, I have to understand the question, and rephrase it if I can. Whenever I see any 2 of the words "sum", "average", or "number of terms", I have a feeling I'll be using the average formula here. So the question is asking me for the sum of all the integers in set S, which could also be asked as the average times the number of terms.

(1) Statement 1 tells me that the range is 2, 3, 5, or 7, and also that the range is not 1, 2, 5, or 10. Therefore, I know the range is 3 or 7. This is insufficient to tell me the sum of the terms, because their average could be 3 or it could be 7. I also don't know how many terms are in the set. Remove A and D from answer choices.

(2) Statement 2 tells me that the set has 5 different integers. Still, I don't know what those integers are or anything else about them, so I don't have sufficient information to answer the question. Remove B from answer choices.

When I try the two statements together, I know that the set has five different integers, so there's no way it could have a range of 3. The smallest the range could ever be for five different integers is 4! So now I know that I have a range of 7, which means I also have an average of 7. But, to find the sum of the set from the average, I'll also need the number of terms. And do you know that here?

Yes, you actually do. The word "set" means that nothing is repeated. (If the GMAT wanted to have repeating terms, they might call it something like a "list of integers".) So if S is a set with 5 different integers, it is a set of 5 terms. And while there are a few different sets that have 5 terms, a range of 7, and an average of 7, all those sets have the same sum. Remember, to find the sum of a set, just take the number of terms (5) and multiply by the average of those terms (7). So the sum here is definitely 35, and the answer is C.
Join the discussion

by Anindya Madhudor » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:28 pm
Thanks for your reply. Good to know that "Set" contains all distinct numbers.
Join the discussion