BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

GMATPrep Practice Exam: Combinations

Expert replies
by talueng » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:46 am
A 4-person task force is to be formed from the 4 men and 3 women who work in Company G's human resources department. If there are to be 2 men and 2 women on this task force, how many different task forces can be formed?

a. 14
b. 18
c. 35
d. 56
e. 144

My answer would be that n = 4*3*3*2, but 72 does not exist as a possible answer. GMATPrep marks b: 14, which obviously is 4*2+3*2, as the correct answer, and I do not understand how this can be the correct answer (say: I disagree).

I have 4 positions available in the team. The first can be taken by one of the 4 men, the second by one of the remaining 3 men, the third by one of the 3 women, and the fourth by one of the remaining 2 women, thus 4*3*3*2.
Even if I break the problem up into two smaller problems, asking how many different men task forces and women task forces I can build, which, as it seems, the GMATPrep answer does, I do not understand why the resulting combinations would be added up rather than multiplied. I can build 4*3 different men task forces, and 3*2 different women task forces, and combining each of them I can build 12*6 different mixed task forces.

Please help clarifying the answer.
Join the discussion
Source: — Data Sufficiency |

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:09 am
talueng wrote:A 4-person task force is to be formed from the 4 men and 3 women who work in Company G's human resources department. If there are to be 2 men and 2 women on this task force, how many different task forces can be formed?

a. 14
b. 18
c. 35
d. 56
e. 144

My answer would be that n = 4*3*3*2, but 72 does not exist as a possible answer. GMATPrep marks b: 14, which obviously is 4*2+3*2, as the correct answer, and I do not understand how this can be the correct answer (say: I disagree).

I have 4 positions available in the team. The first can be taken by one of the 4 men, the second by one of the remaining 3 men, the third by one of the 3 women, and the fourth by one of the remaining 2 women, thus 4*3*3*2.
Even if I break the problem up into two smaller problems, asking how many different men task forces and women task forces I can build, which, as it seems, the GMATPrep answer does, I do not understand why the resulting combinations would be added up rather than multiplied. I can build 4*3 different men task forces, and 3*2 different women task forces, and combining each of them I can build 12*6 different mixed task forces.

Please help clarifying the answer.
Since the ORDER of the people chosen doesn't matter -- selecting AB for the task force is the same as selecting BA -- we must DIVIDE by the number of ways the selected people can be ARRANGED.

Number of ways to choose 2 men from 4 options = (4*3)/(2*1) = 6.
Number of ways to choose 2 women from 3 options = (3*2)/(2*1) = 3.
To combine these options, we multiply:
6*3 = 18.

The correct answer is B.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3
Join the discussion

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:55 am
talueng wrote:A 4-person task force is to be formed from the 4 men and 3 women who work in Company G's human resources department. If there are to be 2 men and 2 women on this task force, how many different task forces can be formed?
a. 14
b. 18
c. 35
d. 56
e. 144
We can take the task of "building" a task force and break it into stages.

Stage 1: select the 2 women for the team
Since the order of the selected women does not matter, this is a combination question.
There are 3 women, and we want to choose 2 of them.
This can be accomplished in 3C2 ways, which equals 3

Stage 2: select the 2 men for the team
Since the order of the selected men does not matter, this is a combination question.
There are 4 men, and we want to choose 2 of them.
This can be accomplished in 4C2 ways, which equals 6

By the Fundamental Counting Principle (FCP) we can complete both stages (and create the committee) in (3)(6) ways = 18 ways

So the answer is B

Cheers,
Brent

Aside: If anyone is interested, we have a free video on calculating combinations (like 4C2) in your head: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-counting?id=789
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com
Image
Join the discussion