BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Probability question-Experts pls help

Expert replies
by mathewmithun » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:11 am
I am getting stumped by this question-I wrote the different possibilities and I was getting 3/5. But clearly my approach was wrong and I am certain that my answer is also wrong. So pls help me solve this question.

Diana is going on a school trip along with her two brothers bruce and clark. the students are to be randomly assigned into 3 groups, with each group leaving at a different time. what is the probability that Diana leaves at the same time as at least one of her brothers?

A: 1/27 B: 4/27 C: 5/27 D: 4/9 E: 5/9

OA is E
Trust in the Lord and do good,dwell in the land and live on it
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by pemdas » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:42 am
mathewmithun wrote:I am getting stumped by this question-I wrote the different possibilities and I was getting 3/5. But clearly my approach was wrong and I am certain that my answer is also wrong. So pls help me solve this question.

Diana is going on a school trip along with her two brothers bruce and clark. the students are to be randomly assigned into 3 groups, with each group leaving at a different time. what is the probability that Diana leaves at the same time as at least one of her brothers?

A: 1/27 B: 4/27 C: 5/27 D: 4/9 E: 5/9

OA is E
rephrased, this question asks about probability for Diana to be placed in the same group with either of her brothers. Since we are not given the number of students, our pool must be a factor of 3 (we divide all people into three-person groups). Also note, the condition "at least one brother" implies one and more (two, here) brothers selected for the same group with Diana.
here, I have to exclaim, this question is missing something in it - either number of students or some other data ...
Success doesn't come overnight!
Join the discussion

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:30 pm
mathewmithun wrote:I am getting stumped by this question-I wrote the different possibilities and I was getting 3/5. But clearly my approach was wrong and I am certain that my answer is also wrong. So pls help me solve this question.

Diana is going on a school trip along with her two brothers bruce and clark. the students are to be randomly assigned into 3 groups, with each group leaving at a different time. what is the probability that Diana leaves at the same time as at least one of her brothers?

A: 1/27 B: 4/27 C: 5/27 D: 4/9 E: 5/9

OA is E
P(at least 1 brother is assigned to Diana's group) = 1 - P(neither brother is assigned to Diana's group).

It is given that Diana is assigned to one of the 3 groups.
What we need to determine is how Diana's brothers can be assigned RELATIVE to Diana's group.
Since the students are RANDOMLY assigned to the 3 groups, the probability of being assigned to Diana's group = 1/3.

P(neither brother is assigned to Diana's group):
P(the 1st brother is to NOT ASSIGNED to Diana's group) = 2/3. (Of the 3 groups, 2 do not include Diana.)
P(the 2nd brother is NOT ASSIGNED to Diana's group) = 2/3. (Of the 3 groups, 2 do not include Diana).
Since we want both events to happen, we multiply the fractions:
2/3 * 2/3 = 4/9.

P(at least 1 brother is assigned to Diana's group):
1 - 4/9 = 5/9.

The correct answer is E.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3
Join the discussion

by SwatiAgarwal » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:59 am
mathewmithun wrote:I am getting stumped by this question-I wrote the different possibilities and I was getting 3/5. But clearly my approach was wrong and I am certain that my answer is also wrong. So pls help me solve this question.

Diana is going on a school trip along with her two brothers bruce and clark. the students are to be randomly assigned into 3 groups, with each group leaving at a different time. what is the probability that Diana leaves at the same time as at least one of her brothers?

A: 1/27 B: 4/27 C: 5/27 D: 4/9 E: 5/9

OA is E
Of course GMAT Guru's reply is most elegant way of solving this problem.
If you want to break down the problem and take a lengthier way here is more detail -
How are B and C placed relative to D, into the three trips T1, T2 and T3, so that they are not along with D?
Fix D in T1 and see how many scenarios are possible
D B C
D C B
D BC *
D * BC

Similarly there are 4 placements each with D alone in T2 and T3

Total ways in which brothers are not in same trip 4*3 = 12

Probability that brothers are not in same trip = 12/27

Probability that Diana is in the same trip as at least one of her brothers = 1- 12/27=15/27=5/9

Here 27 is the total number of combinations in which the three can go on the three trips T1, T2, T3.
I calculated 27 by actually counting the scenarios.
Join the discussion