BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

LCM and GCF

Expert replies
by Aishwarya1204 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:03 am
Just wanted to confirm, if we know the GCF and LCM of two numbers, we can only find out the product of 2 numbers and not the actual values of the 2 numbers right?

The only rule I came across regarding this is:
GCF of 2 numbers * LCM of two numbers = the product of the 2 numbers !
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:22 am
Aishwarya1204 wrote:Just wanted to confirm, if we know the GCF and LCM of two numbers, we can only find out the product of 2 numbers and not the actual values of the 2 numbers right?

The only rule I came across regarding this is:
GCF of 2 numbers * LCM of two numbers = the product of the 2 numbers !
Hmm, I think this answer is . . . sometimes yes and sometimes no.

For example, if the GCF of x and y is 2, and the LCM of x and y is 12, then we can conclude that xy = (2)(12) = 24. In this case, the numbers could be 4 and 6, or the numbers could be 2 and 12

Conversely, if the GCF of x and y is 3, and the LCM of x and y is 24, then we can conclude that xy = (3)(24) = 72. In this case, the numbers must be 3 and 24

So, the million dollar question is, "Under what circumstances does our rule indicate only one pair of numbers?"

I'm not too sure about that. However, I am quite certain that I've never seen an official GMAT test this rule. Although I have seen some advanced questions test the rule that says, "If the GCF of x and y is m, and if the LCM of x and y is n, then xy = mn"

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com
Image
Join the discussion

by Aishwarya1204 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:49 am
Brent@GMATPrepNow wrote:
Aishwarya1204 wrote:Just wanted to confirm, if we know the GCF and LCM of two numbers, we can only find out the product of 2 numbers and not the actual values of the 2 numbers right?

The only rule I came across regarding this is:
GCF of 2 numbers * LCM of two numbers = the product of the 2 numbers !
Hmm, I think this answer is . . . sometimes yes and sometimes no.

For example, if the GCF of x and y is 2, and the LCM of x and y is 12, then we can conclude that xy = (2)(12) = 24. In this case, the numbers could be 4 and 6, or the numbers could be 2 and 12

Conversely, if the GCF of x and y is 3, and the LCM of x and y is 24, then we can conclude that xy = (3)(24) = 72. In this case, the numbers must be 3 and 24

So, the million dollar question is, "Under what circumstances does our rule indicate only one pair of numbers?"

I'm not too sure about that. However, I am quite certain that I've never seen an official GMAT test this rule. Although I have seen some advanced questions test the rule that says, "If the GCF of x and y is m, and if the LCM of x and y is n, then xy = mn"

Cheers,
Brent
Thank you so much !

Yeah that is what I was wondering, because I saw a data sufficiency question which had the question stem asking to identify the two numbers and in the statements it had the LCM of the 2 numbers in one of them and GCF in the other, and the answer was C !

But good to know that it isnt that important from the point of view of the actual GMAT. :).
Join the discussion

by anuprajan5 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:39 am
Brent@GMATPrepNow wrote:
Aishwarya1204 wrote:Just wanted to confirm, if we know the GCF and LCM of two numbers, we can only find out the product of 2 numbers and not the actual values of the 2 numbers right?

The only rule I came across regarding this is:
GCF of 2 numbers * LCM of two numbers = the product of the 2 numbers !
Hmm, I think this answer is . . . sometimes yes and sometimes no.

For example, if the GCF of x and y is 2, and the LCM of x and y is 12, then we can conclude that xy = (2)(12) = 24. In this case, the numbers could be 4 and 6, or the numbers could be 2 and 12

Conversely, if the GCF of x and y is 3, and the LCM of x and y is 24, then we can conclude that xy = (3)(24) = 72. In this case, the numbers must be 3 and 24

So, the million dollar question is, "Under what circumstances does our rule indicate only one pair of numbers?"

I'm not too sure about that. However, I am quite certain that I've never seen an official GMAT test this rule. Although I have seen some advanced questions test the rule that says, "If the GCF of x and y is m, and if the LCM of x and y is n, then xy = mn"

Cheers,
Brent
Brent,

I assume that if either the LCM or the GCF is 1 prime number, then you can determine x or y.

REgards
Anup
Join the discussion