BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

OG 13 79

Expert replies
by PGMAT » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:48 pm
After driving to a riverfront parking lot, Bob plans to run south along the river, turn around, and return to the parking lot, running north along the same path. After running 3.25 miles south, he decides to run for only 50 minutes more. If Bob runs at a constant rate of 8 minutes per mile, how many miles farther south can he run and still be able to return to the parking lot in 50 minutes?

A. 1.5
B. 2.25
C. 3.0
D. 3.25
E. 4.75

OA: A

Can some one explain in detail how to tackle this problem? Thanks.
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:46 pm
PGMAT wrote:After driving to a riverfront parking lot, Bob plans to run south along the river, turn around, and return to the parking lot, running north along the same path. After running 3.25 miles south, he decides to run for only 50 minutes more. If Bob runs at a constant rate of 8 minutes per mile, how many miles farther south can he run and still be able to return to the parking lot in 50 minutes?

A. 1.5
B. 2.25
C. 3.0
D. 3.25
E. 4.75

OA: A

Can some one explain in detail how to tackle this problem? Thanks.
8 minutes/1 mile = 50 minutes/x miles
x = 50/8 = 25/4 = 6.25.
Thus, in 50 minutes, Bob can run 6.25 miles.

Since Bob has already run 3.25 miles, the total distance there and back = 3.25 + 6.25 = 9.5 miles.
Distance southward = 9.5/2 = 4.75 miles.
Since Bob has already run 3.25 miles southward, the remaining distance that can be run southward = 4.75-3.25 = 1.5.

The correct answer is A.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3
Join the discussion

by PGMAT » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:59 pm
8 minutes/1 mile = 50 minutes/x miles
x = 50/8 = 25/4 = 6.25.
Thus, in 50 minutes, Bob can run 6.25 miles.

Since Bob has already run 3.25 miles, the total distance there and back = 3.25 + 6.25 = 9.5 miles.
Distance southward = 9.5/2 = 4.75 miles.
Since Bob has already run 3.25 miles southward, the remaining distance that can be run southward = 4.75-3.25 = 1.5.

The correct answer is A.
Mitch, great explanation. Thank you.
Join the discussion

by pbrmoney » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:48 pm
Can someone please address why this problem doesn't require the Distance = Rate x Time formula?

By that, I mean that the first step in the OG explanation is to multiply the Distance (3.25 miles) by the rate (8 mph) which yields the time it took Bob to run the first leg.

I understand how to do the problem according to the explanations above, but I don't understand why or even how we do this problem without employing D=RT. When I see these distance problems, my first inclination is to write out D=RT.

If I did this problem using D=RT, I would end up with 3.25/8, which does not yield 26 minutes. If I tried to approach this problem with D=RT on the test, I'd be in trouble, which is disconcerting.
Join the discussion

by Whitney Garner » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:57 pm
pbrmoney wrote:Can someone please address why this problem doesn't require the Distance = Rate x Time formula?

By that, I mean that the first step in the OG explanation is to multiply the Distance (3.25 miles) by the rate (8 mph) which yields the time it took Bob to run the first leg.

I understand how to do the problem according to the explanations above, but I don't understand why or even how we do this problem without employing D=RT. When I see these distance problems, my first inclination is to write out D=RT.

If I did this problem using D=RT, I would end up with 3.25/8, which does not yield 26 minutes. If I tried to approach this problem with D=RT on the test, I'd be in trouble, which is disconcerting.
Hi pbrmoney!

This is a very tricky problem because of the UNITS - check out the rate we are given...

If Bob runs at a constant rate of 8 MINUTES per MILE.

As you read problems, ALWAYS pay attention to the units. This should have sent up a red flag - WAIT a minute!! We usually see rates as Distance OVER Time (miles per hour, feet per second, etc.). But this gives us Time OVER Distance. It is the opposite.

So if I want to go from a rate that is Time/Distance - I need to "cancel" that distance in the denominator, so rather than DIVIDE by distance, I would have to Multiply!

So (3.25 miles) x (8 min/mile) = (3.25x8) x (miles x min/miles) = 26 minutes.

Hope this helps clear up that bit of the confusion!
:)
Whit
Whitney Garner
GMAT/GRE/EA Instructor & Anxiety/Accommodations Coach
www.whitneygarner.com

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Math is a lot like love - a simple idea that can easily get complicated :heart-eyes:
Join the discussion