BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Probability question - Need expert help

Expert replies
by voodoo_child » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:08 pm
In a $10 game of chance in Las Vegas, there are two identical bowls that contain 100 marbles. Each bowl contains black colored 95 marbles along with 5 different colored marbles: one blue, one yellow, one green, one red and one gold. You get to pick one marble randomly from each bowl. If you get a matching pair of colored marbles (blue-blue, gold-gold), you win $10000. What is the probability that you win the prize in one play of the game?

HEre's what I tried :

Method 1 = total pairs = 100; Total combinations = 100*100 => PRob = 1/100

Method 2 (really crash landed) --

Choose 1 of the black colored balls from the first bowl and then the second one => 95C1 * 95C1
Choose 1 of blue balls => 1C1 * 1C1 ...Now this will be done for all the five colors. Hence, total = 5*1c1 * 1c1 = 5

Total = (95^2 + 5)/(100^2) = CRASHED !

Can any of the experts please help me ?


Thanks
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by Ian Stewart » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:20 pm
What you did looked fine to me. I guess from the wording of the question, it's unclear to me whether the contestant wins by choosing 2 black marbles. That would make it very, very likely that the contestant would win, and that doesn't sound much like a Las Vegas game of chance to me. One other way to look at the problem:

the probability of picking, say, Blue AND Blue is (1/100)(1/100) = 1/10,000

and the same is true for each of the 5 unique colours. So the probability of picking a pair of the unique colours will be 5/10,000. Now, if we also need to consider the case of picking two black marbles, the probability that happens is (95/100)(95/100) = 95^2/10,000. Adding that to 5/10,000 gives the answer (the same answer you got above).

Now if your question was actually about how to simplify your answer, I suppose you could just long-multiply and it shouldn't take too long. To calculate larger squares, you can also take advantage of the difference of squares pattern, by finding a product of two numbers near to 95 that's easy to work with. From the difference of squares:

(95 - 5)(95 + 5) = 95^2 - 25

but we can see that the left side, (95 - 5)(95 + 5) is also equal to 90*100= 9000. So

9000 = 95^2 - 25
9025 = 95^2

and if we are supposed to count the selection of 2 black coloured balls as a 'win', then the answer is 9025/10,000 + 5/10,000 = 9030/10,000 = 903/1000.
For online GMAT math tutoring, or to buy my higher-level Quant books and problem sets, contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

ianstewartgmat.com
Join the discussion

by voodoo_child » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:23 pm
Thanks Ian for helping me. I have two questions:-

#1- what's wrong with method #1 ?
#2 - OA for this problem is 5/10000 = 1/2000. The source of this problem is Veritas Prep. I believe that the author is assuming that only 5 different color pairs could be formed. Otherwise, I don't see how one can get that answer. (I don't have other answer choices.)

Thanks again for your help. It will be great if you could elaborate why method#1 doesn't work. I think that will be a good take away for me.

Thanks
Voodoo
Join the discussion

by Ian Stewart » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:47 pm
voodoo_child wrote:Thanks Ian for helping me. I have two questions:-

#1- what's wrong with method #1 ?
#2 - OA for this problem is 5/10000 = 1/2000. The source of this problem is Veritas Prep. I believe that the author is assuming that only 5 different color pairs could be formed. Otherwise, I don't see how one can get that answer. (I don't have other answer choices.)

Thanks again for your help. It will be great if you could elaborate why method#1 doesn't work. I think that will be a good take away for me.

Thanks
Voodoo
I didn't notice your 'method 1' the first time. It's the numerator that isn't right; I don't know how you arrived at "total pairs = 100", but it's not the right number. The numerator in your 'method 2' had the right number of pairs in the numerator.

Clearly the OA is not considering a pair of black marbles to be a winning combination. I don't think the question makes clear whether that pair should be counted, so I don't care for the wording much.
For online GMAT math tutoring, or to buy my higher-level Quant books and problem sets, contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

ianstewartgmat.com
Join the discussion

by das.ashmita » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:44 pm
This is how I tried it:

Probability of choosing a colored marble from bowl 1 = 5/100 = 1/20
Probability of choosing the same colored marble from bowl 2 = 1/100

Probability (Win) = (1/20)(1/100) = 1/2000
Join the discussion

by voodoo_child » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:55 am
Ian Stewart wrote: I didn't notice your 'method 1' the first time. It's the numerator that isn't right; I don't know how you arrived at "total pairs = 100", but it's not the right number. The numerator in your 'method 2' had the right number of pairs in the numerator.

Clearly the OA is not considering a pair of black marbles to be a winning combination. I don't think the question makes clear whether that pair should be counted, so I don't care for the wording much.
Thanks Ian. When I got up this morning, I realized why Method1 is incorrect. There cannot be hundred color pairs because there are two different bowls that each contains 95 black balls. There itself, the number of pairs = 95*95. Just '95' is incorrect.

On a separate note, I have a SC question. Which one is correct?
A) two different bowls that each contains
Or
B) two different bowls that each contain?

I am a bit confused. My intuition says A) because "each" is singular.
Join the discussion

by GaneshMalkar » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:45 am
Assuming that black-black combination wont win any thing....

From Bowl1 we have 5 different colors of balls...so 5 ways of selecting one ball
as from second bowl we need to take the ball of same color so only 1 way.
Total way of win for one combination = 5 * 1
P(win) = 5/10000 = 1/2000
If you cant explain it simply you dont understand it well enough!!!
- Genius
Join the discussion

by mohan514 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:58 am
the chances of getting one of the coloured ball in the fiest ball is 5/100

to win he should pick up the ball of same colour from the second bowl and that should be of the same colour

so sinjce there are only 5 coloured balls and among them only one would match the requirement

hence the chances are 1/100

so both should happen at once
hence on multiplication we reach 0.0005

is it right??
Join the discussion