BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

How to solve this distance problem algebraically?

Expert replies
by ksc1940 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:21 pm
This question is from jeff sackmann's 1000 problem set, which is superb. I know I can solve this by plugging in numbers, and that's actually the explanation that jeff gives. But I want to know how to do it algebraically. I tried figuring it out but couldn't get to the right answer.

Hayden began walking from F to G, a distance of 40 miles, at the
same time Ava began walking from G to F on the same road. If
HaydenÂ’'s walking speed was x miles per hour and AvaÂ’'s was y
miles per hour, how many miles away from F were they, in terms
of x and y, when they met?
(A) 40(x-y)/x+y
(B) 40x-y/x+y
(C) x-y/x+y
(D) 40y/x+y
(E) 40x/x+y
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by anuprajan5 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:56 pm
Speed * Time = Distance

Assume time to be t at which point x and y meet
Therefore, x*t + y*t = 40
Therefore t = 40/(x+y)

Distance from town F - Speed * Time = x*t = x*40/(x+y)

Hence Answer E.

My rationale is that distance from G would be - Speed*Time - y*t = y*40/(x+y).

Therefore if I add these 2 distances, the distance covered by both of them would be x*40/(x+y) + y*40/(x+y) which would equate to 40, which is the distance both of them covered to meet at time t.




Hope I am not way off base here.

Regards
Anup
Join the discussion

by niketdoshi123 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:06 pm
ksc1940 wrote:This question is from jeff sackmann's 1000 problem set, which is superb. I know I can solve this by plugging in numbers, and that's actually the explanation that jeff gives. But I want to know how to do it algebraically. I tried figuring it out but couldn't get to the right answer.

Hayden began walking from F to G, a distance of 40 miles, at the
same time Ava began walking from G to F on the same road. If
HaydenÂ’'s walking speed was x miles per hour and AvaÂ’'s was y
miles per hour, how many miles away from F were they, in terms
of x and y, when they met?
(A) 40(x-y)/x+y
(B) 40x-y/x+y
(C) x-y/x+y
(D) 40y/x+y
(E) 40x/x+y
Since Hayden and Ava are walking in opposite direction, towards each other.
Their relative walking speed will be = x+y

Total distance walked when they met = 40
# of hours they walked just before they met = 40/(x+y) = # of hours each of them walked.
Since Hayden started walking form F, the distance he walked in 40/(x+y) hrs = x*40/(x+y)

Hence, they were 40x/(x+y) miles away from F when they met
The correct answer is E
Join the discussion

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:32 am
ksc1940 wrote:This question is from jeff sackmann's 1000 problem set, which is superb. I know I can solve this by plugging in numbers, and that's actually the explanation that jeff gives. But I want to know how to do it algebraically. I tried figuring it out but couldn't get to the right answer.

Hayden began walking from F to G, a distance of 40 miles, at the
same time Ava began walking from G to F on the same road. If
HaydenÂ’'s walking speed was x miles per hour and AvaÂ’'s was y
miles per hour, how many miles away from F were they, in terms
of x and y, when they met?
(A) 40(x-y)/x+y
(B) 40x-y/x+y
(C) x-y/x+y
(D) 40y/x+y
(E) 40x/x+y
Each hour, Hayden travels x miles and Ava travels y miles.
Thus, of the x+y miles traveled each hour, the fraction traveled by Hayden = x/(x+y).
Thus, of the 40 miles between Hayden and Ava, the portion traveled by Hayden = x/(x+y) * 40 = 40x/(x+y).

The correct answer is E.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3
Join the discussion