BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Robert purchased $2000 worth of US saving bonds

Expert replies
by vinni.k » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:30 am
source "kaplan"

Robert purchased $2000 worth of US saving bonds. If bonds are sold in $50 or $100 denominations only, which of the following CANNOT be the number of US saving bonds that Robert purchased?

A:20
B:27
C:30
D:40
E:50

OA: E

Please explain the problem.

Thanks & Regards
Vinni
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by Birottam Dutta » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:45 am
Basically it means that I gave you $2000 in currency notes of $100 and $50. No other notes are allowed.

Now of I give you only $50s then I will need to give you 40 notes to make it $2000 (as 2000=50*40).

If I give you only $100, then I need to give you 20 notes to make it $2000.

If I use a combination of 50s and 100s, then I will give you between 40 and 20 notes.

But I cannot give you 50 notes. Because even if I use only $50, 50 notes will make the total $2500 (50*50) which is not the amount we want.

So, 50 is the answer we are looking for.

Hence, E!
Join the discussion

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:46 am
vinni.k wrote:source "kaplan"

Robert purchased $2000 worth of US saving bonds. If bonds are sold in $50 or $100 denominations only, which of the following CANNOT be the number of US saving bonds that Robert purchased?

A:20
B:27
C:30
D:40
E:50

OA: E

Please explain the problem.

Thanks & Regards
Vinni
Let x = the number of $50 bonds and y = the number of $100 bonds.
Since $2000 worth of bonds were purchased, we get:
50x + 100y = 2000
50(x+2y) = 2000
x+2y = 40.

Looking at the answer choices:
Since x+2y = 40, it is not possible that the total number of bonds -- in other words, the value of x+y -- is equal to 50.

The correct answer is E.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3
Join the discussion

by ankita1709 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:47 am
We can assume $50 bonds = x
$100 bonds = y

50x+100y = 2000
x+2y = 40

So if you look at it many other values are there which are not possible
For example you can even have 40 bonds because lets say if y = 1 x = 38 --> 39 bonds

Please explain the confusion
Ankita
Join the discussion

by vinni.k » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:40 am
GMATGuruNY wrote::
Since x+2y = 40, it is not possible that the total number of bonds -- in other words, the value of x+y -- is equal to 50.

The correct answer is E.
Thanks for your replies.
Even I am also not able to relate this x + 2y = 40 with the answer. I am bit confused after this.


Vinni
Join the discussion

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:54 am
vinni.k wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote::
Since x+2y = 40, it is not possible that the total number of bonds -- in other words, the value of x+y -- is equal to 50.

The correct answer is E.
Thanks for your replies.
Even I am also not able to relate this x + 2y = 40 with the answer. I am bit confused after this.


Vinni
From my post above:
x+2y = 40.

Answer choice E implies that the number of bonds purchased is equal to 50:
x+y = 50.

Subtracting the second equation from the first, we get:
(x+2y) - (x+y) = 40-50
y = -10.
Doesn't work: it is not possible that the number of $100 bonds purchased is equal to a negative value.

We also can reason our way to the correct answer.
The greatest answer choice is 50.
If 50 of the $50 bonds are purchased, the total amount purchased = 50*50 = 2500.
Too much: the total amount purchased must be equal to 2000.
Since purchasing 50 of the cheaper of the two bonds yields a total greater than 2000, it is not possible to purchase 50 bonds.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3
Join the discussion

by vinni.k » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:35 am
Thanks Mitch. I have understood your explanation.

Regards
vinni
GMATGuruNY wrote: From my post above:
x+2y = 40.

Answer choice E implies that the number of bonds purchased is equal to 50:
x+y = 50.

Subtracting the second equation from the first, we get:
(x+2y) - (x+y) = 40-50
y = -10.
Doesn't work: it is not possible that the number of $100 bonds purchased is equal to a negative value.

We also can reason our way to the correct answer.
The greatest answer choice is 50.
If 50 of the $50 bonds are purchased, the total amount purchased = 50*50 = 2500.
Too much: the total amount purchased must be equal to 2000.
Since purchasing 50 of the cheaper of the two bonds yields a total greater than 2000, it is not possible to purchase 50 bonds.
Join the discussion