BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Invented Symbols & Inequalities

Expert replies
by i_have_no_cool_username » Fri May 18, 2012 4:08 am
Let [[x]] represent the average of the greatest integer less than or equal to x and the least integer greater than or equal to x. Is 0 <= |a| <= 1 ?

1) [[x]] - x = a
2) 0 < [[a]] < 1

OA: D (*Source: Knewton GMAT CAT Test #3)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The explanation provided by Knewton is really complicated and long since it's testing cases using PIN - I'm wondering if there's a simpler and faster way to solve this.

During the test, I was already lost at the question stem. *discouraged* Help is deeply appreciated!
Join the discussion
Source: — Data Sufficiency |

by aneesh.kg » Fri May 18, 2012 4:54 am
i_have_no_cool_username wrote:Let [[x]] represent the average of the greatest integer less than or equal to x and the least integer greater than or equal to x. Is 0 <= |a| <= 1 ?

1) [[x]] - x = a
2) 0 < [[a]] < 1

OA: D (*Source: Knewton GMAT CAT Test #3)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The explanation provided by Knewton is really complicated and long since it's testing cases using PIN - I'm wondering if there's a simpler and faster way to solve this.

During the test, I was already lost at the question stem. *discouraged* Help is deeply appreciated!
Hi,
This is a good one.

Let's try to understand the meaning of [[x]].
If x = 4.1, [[x]] = (4 + 5)/2 = 4.5
If x = 3.9, [[x]] = (3 + 4)/2 = 3.5

So, if x = Integer + d (where 'I' is its decimal part whereas 'd' is its decimal part),
then [[x]] = I + 0.5

Statement(1):
[[x]] - x = (I + 0.5) - (I + d) = 0.5 - d
|0.5 - d| will always be between 0 and 1, since d is between 0 and 0.999...
SUFFICIENT.

Statement(2):
0< [[a]] < 1
0 < I + d < 1
Since the decimal value is always between 0 and 1, the integral value of a = 0
So,
0 < a < 1
or
0 <= |a| <= 1
SUFFICIENT.

[spoiler](D)[/spoiler] is correct.
Aneesh Bangia
GMAT Math Coach
[email protected]

GMATPad:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/GMATPad
Join the discussion

by i_have_no_cool_username » Fri May 18, 2012 8:25 am
aneesh.kg wrote:
Statement(2):
0< [[a]] < 1
0 < I + d < 1
Since the decimal value is always between 0 and 1, the integral value of a = 0
So,
0 < a < 1
or
0 <= |a| <= 1
SUFFICIENT.
Hi Aneesh! Thanks for the explanation - I think I understand the prompt and Statement 1 better now. It seems like the important part is to spot a pattern for x and [[x]] after testing some numbers... Also did you mean that "I" is the integer part (not the decimal part) and "d" is the decimal part? If so, then it makes sense to me.

I still don't really understand Statement 2 though. Since the statement states 'a' in the inequality, are you using the same rules stated in the prompt for x to evaluate 'a' in statement 2? If so, 0 < d + i < 1, and if 0 < i < 0.999, then like you said d=a=0.
In this case, a IS equal to 0, not between 0 and 1...can you explain a little bit more on how you got from a=0 to 0 < a < 1, please?
Join the discussion

by aneesh.kg » Fri May 18, 2012 1:52 pm
i_have_no_cool_username wrote:
aneesh.kg wrote:
Statement(2):
0< [[a]] < 1
0 < I + d < 1
Since the decimal value is always between 0 and 1, the integral value of a = 0
So,
0 < a < 1
or
0 <= |a| <= 1
SUFFICIENT.
Hi Aneesh! Thanks for the explanation - I think I understand the prompt and Statement 1 better now. It seems like the important part is to spot a pattern for x and [[x]] after testing some numbers... Also did you mean that "I" is the integer part (not the decimal part) and "d" is the decimal part? If so, then it makes sense to me.

I still don't really understand Statement 2 though. Since the statement states 'a' in the inequality, are you using the same rules stated in the prompt for x to evaluate 'a' in statement 2? If so, 0 < d + i < 1, and if 0 < i < 0.999, then like you said d=a=0.
In this case, a IS equal to 0, not between 0 and 1...can you explain a little bit more on how you got from a=0 to 0 < a < 1, please?
Yes, sorry for the typo. 'I' is the integral part.

I'm using the same prompt for Statement(2) but I am thinking a little harder along with using the prompt.
0 < [[a]] < 1
0 < [[I + d]] < 1
0 < I + 0.5 < 1
If, in the above inequality I is anything except 0, the inequality will get violated. For example, I = -1 means that I + 0.5 = - 0.5, I = 1 means that I + 0.5 = 1.5. In other words, since I is an integer, 0.5 is the only value of (I + 0.5) that lies between 0 and 1.
So, I (or the integral part of a) has to be 0.

'a' is now left with only its decimal part.. i.e. a = 0 + d = d.
Since 0 < d < 0.999.., 0 < a < 0.999.. also.

Please let me know if this makes sense.
Aneesh Bangia
GMAT Math Coach
[email protected]

GMATPad:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/GMATPad
Join the discussion