BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

GMATPrep Question - need expert help

Expert replies
by voodoo_child » Fri May 11, 2012 4:55 am
The price of a radio decreased m percent between 2010 and 2011 and then increased n percent between 2011 and 2012. Was the price of the automobile lower in 2010 than in 2012?

1) m<n
2) mn<100(n-m)


Here's what I did:

2010 :X = price of the radio
2011 :(1-m)X
2012 : (1-m) (1+n) X


Question : Is X< X(1-m)(1+n)?

Solving above equation, we get Is n-m>mn?


now, if m=0.2; n-0.2>0.2n => 0.8n>0.2 => n>0.25 (required)

1) m<n => if m=0.2; n>0.2 Not sufficient
2) mn <100(n-m) => 0.2n<100 (n-0.2) => 0.2n < 100n - 20 => 20<99.8n => n>0.2004

I ended up finding the same equation for 'n'. However, OA is B.

Can someone please tell me what's wrong with my method?
Join the discussion
Source: — Data Sufficiency |

by aneesh.kg » Fri May 11, 2012 5:12 am
Taking m and n as percentages,

the questions is:
Is 100(n - m) > mn?

The eyes roll to Statement (2), because it says exactly that.
SUFFICIENT.

Statement(1):
If n = 0.5, m = 0.2
n - m = 0.3, nm = 0.1
n - m > nm YES!
BUT
If n = 0.5, m = 0.49 (when n and m are very close values)
n - m = 0.01
nm = 0.245
n - m < nm PROBLEM!
INSUFFICIENT

[spoiler](B)[/spoiler] is correct
Aneesh Bangia
GMAT Math Coach
[email protected]

GMATPad:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/GMATPad
Join the discussion

by voodoo_child » Fri May 11, 2012 5:25 am
aneesh.kg wrote:Taking m and n as percentages,

the questions is:
Is 100(n - m) > mn?
Aah ok. But how does it matter ? If I say that X reduced by 5 percent, it means that X(1-0.05) Correct?

A percent could also be expressed as decimal.....?
Join the discussion

by aneesh.kg » Fri May 11, 2012 5:30 am
Right.
But, to notice that the Statement (2) says exactly what has to be found, you've to either take n and m as percentages initially (as given in the question) OR convert the Statement(2) so that n and m are fraction values (in your method).

If you want to take n and m as fractions, go ahead, but then:
Statement (2) is
(100m)*(100n) < 100*(100n - 100m)
mn < n - m
(where n and m are fractions, NOT percentages)

Now, the Statement(2) resembles the form that you had got.
Aneesh Bangia
GMAT Math Coach
[email protected]

GMATPad:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/GMATPad
Join the discussion

by voodoo_child » Fri May 11, 2012 5:55 am
Exactly. The point is not about "decimals" or "percentages" but something else. Let's ignore the discussion about decimals and percentages.

If we substitute m=0.2; we get n>0.2 (1); However, the funny part is that I got n>0.2 from (2)!! However, the original equation requires n>0.25. (Please see my working). Unfortunately, I am not able to understand what's missing. Something is wrong....

Any thoughts?
Join the discussion

by aneesh.kg » Fri May 11, 2012 6:11 am
Unfortunately, we cannot ignore the discussion on fractions and percentages. You will not realise your mistake without it.

In, Statement(2), you CANNOT move ahead with taking n and m as fractions and substituting into a Statement that is taking them as percentage values.
If you have to substitute m = 0.2, do it in
mn < n - m
which is the converted form of Statement (2)
Aneesh Bangia
GMAT Math Coach
[email protected]

GMATPad:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/GMATPad
Join the discussion

by GMATGuruNY » Fri May 11, 2012 6:12 am
voodoo_child wrote:The price of a radio decreased m percent between 2010 and 2011 and then increased n percent between 2011 and 2012. Was the price of the automobile lower in 2010 than in 2012?

1) m<n
2) mn<100(n-m)
Let the original price = 100.
Percent decrease between 2010 and 2011 = (m/100)100 = m.
New price = 100-m.
Percent increase between 2011 and 2012 = (n/100)(100-m) = n - mn/100
Thus, the total percentage change = -m + n - mn/100 = n - m - mn/100.

For the price in 2012 to be lower than the price in 2010, the total percent change must be less than 0.
Question rephrased: Is n - m - mn/100 < 0?

Statement 1: m<n
If m=10 and n=20, then n - m - mn/100 = 20 - 10 - 200/100 = 8.
If m=90 and n=100, the n - m - mn/100 = 100 - 90 - 9000/100 = -80.
Since in the first case the total percent change is positive, and in the second case the total percent change is negative, INSUFFICIENT.

Statement 2: mn<100(n-m)
mn/100 < n-m
n - m - mn/100 > 0.
SUFFICIENT.

The correct answer is B.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3
Join the discussion

by voodoo_child » Fri May 11, 2012 6:34 am
I think that my question is different. It's a conceptual one.

Let me try to explain it to you.

To begin with, let's say that m=0.2; Now, the original inequality requires us to find out whether .. "n-m>mn" holds good. Correct. OR,................(I)

if m= 0.2; Is n>0.25. . I think that you agree with the solution above.

1) n>m is insufficient because n>m => n>0.2. Therefore, the equation (I) doesnt hold good for n=0.21, 0.22..0.25. The eqation (I) holds good only for n>0.25.

2) this is where the problem is. We know that this equation is just a restatement of (I). However, if you substitute m=0.2; you will get n>0.2 which is same as (#1){AND NOT EQUATION (I)}. I am not able to understand - why is it that if I substitute m=0.2 in (I); I get n > 0.25. However, if I substitute m=0.2 in 2), I get n>0.2 (approx) and NOT n>0.25.

Do you see the problem? I am a bit lost.
Join the discussion

by voodoo_child » Fri May 11, 2012 6:35 am
aneesh.kg wrote:Unfortunately, we cannot ignore the discussion on fractions and percentages. You will not realise your mistake without it.

In, Statement(2), you CANNOT move ahead with taking n and m as fractions and substituting into a Statement that is taking them as percentage values.
If you have to substitute m = 0.2, do it in
mn < n - m
which is the converted form of Statement (2)
I think that my question is different. It's a conceptual one.

Let me try to explain it to you.

To begin with, let's say that m=0.2; Now, the original inequality requires us to find out whether .. "n-m>mn" holds good. Correct. OR,................(I)

if m= 0.2; Is n>0.25. . I think that you agree with the solution above.

1) n>m is insufficient because n>m => n>0.2. Therefore, the equation (I) doesnt hold good for n=0.21, 0.22..0.25. The eqation (I) holds good only for n>0.25.

2) this is where the problem is. We know that this equation is just a restatement of (I). However, if you substitute m=0.2; you will get n>0.2 which is same as (#1){AND NOT EQUATION (I)}. I am not able to understand - why is it that if I substitute m=0.2 in (I); I get n > 0.25. However, if I substitute m=0.2 in 2), I get n>0.2 (approx) and NOT n>0.25.

Do you see the problem? I am a bit lost.
Join the discussion