BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Probabilities Problem - Crowan throwin' the Dice

Expert replies
by dellaboemia » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:48 am
Crowan throws 3 dice and records the product of the numbers appearing at the top of each die as the result of the attempt. What is the probability that the result of any attempt is an odd integer divisible by 25?

A) 7/216
B) 5/91
C) 13/88
D) 1/5
E) 3/8

Source: Veritas Prep Combinatorics and Probability Page 102, #53

Correct Answer:
A
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:11 pm
dellaboemia wrote:Crowan throws 3 dice and records the product of the numbers appearing at the top of each die as the result of the attempt. What is the probability that the result of any attempt is an odd integer divisible by 25?

A) 7/216
B) 5/91
C) 13/88
D) 1/5
E) 3/8

Source: Veritas Prep Combinatorics and Probability Page 102, #53

Correct Answer:
A
Case 1: all fives
P(1st roll is 5) = 1/6.
P(2nd roll is 5) = 1/6.
P(3rd roll is 5) = 1/6.
Since we want all of these events to happen together, we multiply the fractions:
1/6 * 1/6 * 1/6 = 1/216.

Case 2: two 5's and one roll that is 1 or 3
P(1st roll is 5) = 1/6.
P(2nd roll is 5) = 1/6.
P(3rd roll is 1 or 3) = 2/6.
Since we want all of these events to happen together, we multiply the fractions:
1/6 * 1/6 * 2/6 = 2/216.
Since the 1 or 3 could happen on the 1st roll, the 2nd roll, or the 3rd roll, we multiply by 3:
3 * 2/216 = 6/216.

Since either Case 1 or Case 2 will yield a good outcome, we add the results:
1/216 + 6/216 = 7/216.

The correct answer is A.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3
Join the discussion

by dellaboemia » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:00 pm
Thanks Mitch. Your approach totally makes sense. I'm struggling to understand where my process went wrong. I rephrased the question to be the probability of getting a 5, a 5, and a 1 3 or 5. One scenario yields 1/6 * 1/6 * 3/6 or 3/216. I multiplied by 3 since these can happen in any order. I end up with 9/216. Why doesn't that approach work? What am I missing here?
Join the discussion

by dellaboemia » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:11 pm
Thanks Mitch. Your approach totally makes sense. I'm struggling to understand where my process went wrong. I rephrased the question to be the probability of getting a 5, a 5, and a 1 3 or 5. One scenario yields 1/6 * 1/6 * 3/6 or 3/216. I multiplied by 3 since these can happen in any order. I end up with 9/216. Why doesn't that approach work? What am I missing here?

Ahh just got it. The scenario of 3 5s is over counted, ergo the importance of decomposing the problem into mutually exclusive events.
Join the discussion

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:56 pm
dellaboemia wrote:Thanks Mitch. Your approach totally makes sense. I'm struggling to understand where my process went wrong. I rephrased the question to be the probability of getting a 5, a 5, and a 1 3 or 5. One scenario yields 1/6 * 1/6 * 3/6 or 3/216. I multiplied by 3 since these can happen in any order. I end up with 9/216. Why doesn't that approach work? What am I missing here?

Ahh just got it. The scenario of 3 5s is over counted, ergo the importance of decomposing the problem into mutually exclusive events.
Exactly right.
In your approach, 5-5-5 is counted three times.
Thus, from the 9 favorable outcomes that you counted, 2 must be subtracted:
9/216 - 2/216 = 7/216.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3
Join the discussion

by bubbliiiiiiii » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:33 am
My approach:

The product, when three dice are rolled, cannot exceed 216.

So, possible outcomes that are odd multiples of 25 are 25, 75, 125, and 175 (4 in all).

Total possible outcomes = 6*6*6

Thus, probability is 4/216!

What am I missing here? :(
Regards,

Pranay
Join the discussion

by ronnie1985 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:22 am
The first 2 dices are 5 and the last one is 1 or 3 or 5.
This can be done in any order. But then 5*5*5 is counted thrice, so subtract 2 times appearance of 5*5*5.
P = (1/6)*(1/6)*(3/6)*3 - (1/6)*(1/6)*1/6)*2 = 7/216.
Follow your passion, Success as perceived by others shall follow you
Join the discussion