BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Over lapping problem......again, kinda tricky

Expert replies
by Mr.Hollywood » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:48 pm
A school has 3 classes, math class has 14 students. English class has 10 students, PE class has 11 students. There are 20 students taking only one class, 3 students are taking all three classes. How many students are taking two classes?

A) 6
B) 3
C) 9
D) 18

I personally think it's A

What do you guys think?
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by Mike@Magoosh » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:17 pm
Hi, there. I'm happy to help with this. :)

First of all, I'll say: this question is unusual in form, because GMAT PS questions invariably have 5 answer choices. Also, the numbers seem a bit smaller and simpler than I've seen on analogous GMAT questions. Also, on the real GMAT, answer choices are almost always in numerical order. I am suspicious of the source of these questions.

A school has 3 classes, math class has 14 students. English class has 10 students, PE class has 11 students. That's a sum of 14 + 10 + 11 = 35. This sum counts "doublers" twice, and counts "triplers" three times.

There are 20 students taking only one class. Remove the singletons, 35-20 = 15, and that number represents the doublers counted twice and the triplers counted three times.

3 students are taking all three classes. There are three triplers, so they count for 9 in the total. 15 - 9 = 6, which represents the doublers counting twice. That means, there must be 3 doublers.

Answer = B

Does all this make sense? Please let me know if you have any questions on what I've said.

Mike :)
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
https://gmat.magoosh.com/
Join the discussion

by Mr.Hollywood » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:02 am
Mike@Magoosh wrote:Hi, there. I'm happy to help with this. :)

First of all, I'll say: this question is unusual in form, because GMAT PS questions invariably have 5 answer choices. Also, the numbers seem a bit smaller and simpler than I've seen on analogous GMAT questions. Also, on the real GMAT, answer choices are almost always in numerical order. I am suspicious of the source of these questions.

A school has 3 classes, math class has 14 students. English class has 10 students, PE class has 11 students. That's a sum of 14 + 10 + 11 = 35. This sum counts "doublers" twice, and counts "triplers" three times.

There are 20 students taking only one class. Remove the singletons, 35-20 = 15, and that number represents the doublers counted twice and the triplers counted three times.

3 students are taking all three classes. There are three triplers, so they count for 9 in the total. 15 - 9 = 6, which represents the doublers counting twice. That means, there must be 3 doublers.

Answer = B

Does all this make sense? Please let me know if you have any questions on what I've said.

Mike :)
Thank you it's great. Although I'm not so sure about the "This sum counts "doublers" twice" part. Can you demonstrate a little further regarding the doublers? I do understand the triplers.
Join the discussion

by Mike@Magoosh » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:02 pm
Mr.Hollywood wrote:Thank you it's great. Although I'm not so sure about the "This sum counts "doublers" twice" part. Can you demonstrate a little further regarding the doublers? I do understand the triplers.
OK, let's be concrete.

Let's say:
A is taking Math
B is taking Math
C is taking English
D is taking PE
E is taking PE

F is taking Math and English
G is taking Math and English
H is taking Math and PE
I is taking Math and PE
J is taking English and PE

K is taking Math, English, and PE
L is taking Math, English, and PE


Here, I have marked the "singletons" in purple, the doublers in green, and the triplers in red.

Who is in Math? A, B, F, G, H, I, K, and L ---> 8 people
Who is in English? C, F, G, J, K, and L ---> 6 people
Who is in PE? D, E, H, I, J, K, and L ---> 7 people

8 + 6 + 7 = 21

That sum of 21 counts the two triplers (K & L) three time --- they are included on all three lines of the sums. The sum of 21 counts the 5 doublers (F, G, H, I, and J) each twice --- each one of those is included on two of the three lines of sums.

Thus (5 singletons) + 2*(five doublers) + 3*(two triplers) = 5 + 2*5 + 3*6 = 21

Does this make sense?

Mike :)
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
https://gmat.magoosh.com/
Join the discussion