BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Help in inequalities algebra, please! I am loosing my mind.

Expert replies
by jeffboshine » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:36 am
I am trying to do this algebraically to understand the concept. I don't want to pick numbers.

Problem 1) A^2<A
Divide both side by positive A, I get A<1
Divide both side by negative A, I get -A<1, or A>1
Obbously Wrong

Problem 2) A/B>C/B
Multiply both side by positive B, I get A>C
Multiply both sides by negative B, I get -A>-C, or A<C
Obviously Wrong

How can I solve these two inequalities algebraically, can someone help with a step by step approach.

Thanks.
Join the discussion
Source: — Data Sufficiency |

by pemdas » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:50 am
jeffboshine wrote:I am trying to do this algebraically to understand the concept. I don't want to pick numbers.

Problem 1) A^2<A
Divide both side by positive A, I get A<1
Divide both side by negative A, I get -A<1, or A>1
Obbously Wrong

Problem 2) A/B>C/B
Multiply both side by positive B, I get A>C
Multiply both sides by negative B, I get -A>-C, or A<C
Obviously Wrong

How can I solve these two inequalities algebraically, can someone help with a step by step approach.

Thanks.
the 1st problem is comparatively easier, and you can rewrite the inequality as following
A^2 - A < 0
A(A-1) < 0, A<0 and A>1 (A can't be negative and greater than 1, not possible), therefore look for another case A>0 and A<1. The solution area: 0<A<1

the 2nd problem can be tackled by observing 2 conditions: B<0 or B>0
When B<0, A/B>C/B, A<C
When B>0, A/B>C/B, A>C
you have to know the sign of B to solve the 2nd problem
Success doesn't come overnight!
Join the discussion

by jeffboshine » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:19 am
Thank you, that clarified a lot.

One more follow up:

(1/7)^4y>(1/7)^8y+14

Here is how I did it:

7^(-4y)>7^(-8y-14)
-4y>-8y-14
-4y>-14
y<14/4

The book says to go from the original statement to
4y<8y+14

I don't understand how they get from the original statement to this one.
Join the discussion

by geno5 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:30 am
-4y>-8y-14 from here you need to divide by a - which makes you flip the sign <

therefore

4y<8y+14
Join the discussion

by jeffboshine » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:36 am
Why is it correct to divide by a negative when you did
and it is wrong to divide by a negative when I did

How do you decide when to do it. I did it later, you did it earlier.
Join the discussion

by geno5 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:48 am
I think there may be an error in your calculation I am not sure how you went from
-4y>-8y-14 to
-4y>-14
+8y each side = 4y>-14 therefore y>-14/4

but I chose that point because all have a negative sign and it makes every number positive, seems easy then.
Join the discussion

by jeffboshine » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:56 am
That was it, a silly mistake, but both your path and my path would lead to the same answer.

Y>-14/4

After looking at this for so long, I am loosing my mind.

Thank you.
Join the discussion

by pemdas » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:01 pm
jeffboshine wrote:Thank you, that clarified a lot.

One more follow up:

(1/7)^4y>(1/7)^8y+14

Here is how I did it:

7^(-4y)>7^(-8y-14)
-4y>-8y-14
-4y>-14
y<14/4

The book says to go from the original statement to
4y<8y+14

I don't understand how they get from the original statement to this one.
first of all, you make notation mistake!
Not (1/7)^4y>(1/7)^8y+14 BUT (1/7)^4y>(1/7)^(8y+14), I have been wasting a lot of time before figured you must make mistake there in notation

(1/7)^4y>(1/7)^(8y+14)
Never work through powers with fractions, Compare (1/2)^2 > (1/2)^3 doesn't translate into 2>3, but translates into 2<3. 2^-2 > 2^-3 and -2 > -3 or 2 < 3.

Next, (1/7)^4y>(1/7)^(8y+14) must be rewritten as 7^(-4y) > 7^(-8y-14)
-4y > -8y-14, multiply both sides by -1 and flip the sign, 4y<8y+14, -4y<14, again flip the sign, y>-14/4, y>-7/2
Success doesn't come overnight!
Join the discussion

by jeffboshine » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:18 am
Thank you pemdas, I think I got this inequalities thing figured out.
Join the discussion