BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

OG Geometry - Find the external angles of the 5 pointed star

Expert replies
by Lasve » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:37 am
Hi Guys I'm writing about a tricky question that took me quite a while to solve.

I wanted to ask your opinion about the solve method given by the OG, because I find it quite confusing and time consuming.

I think that a faster and easyer way to solve it would be:
i. Realize the center is a pentagon
ii. That means that the total internal angles are 180*(n-2) = 180 * (5-2) = 540
iii. That means that the Average internal angle is 108
iv. Realize that each internal angle is part of a 180-degrees Straight angle, That means that the complementary one (the Base of the triangle) is 180-108= 72
v. Since every triangle is 180 degree, the external angle must be 180-(72*2) = 36
vi. Multiply 36 for the number of external angles: 36*5=180

What do you think?
Did I get something wrong and solve it just for sheer luck or is it ok?
Thanks![/img]
Attachments
GEOMETRY Star DIFFICULT.JPG
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by LalaB » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:15 am
hm, have doubts about step III (u divide 540 by 5 ,assuming that all angles are equal. r they?)

my approach-

a+b+c+d+e=180(5-2)=540
remember-the measure of an exterior angle equals the sum of its two non-adjacent interior angles

lets assume that the triangle with the angle z has also angles m (near c) and p(near b)
then c=p+z b=m+z c+b=p+m+2z=180+z
same with the rest angles of the polygon abcde.

now pay attention to the fact that the angles of the polygon counted twice (so we need to divide the result by 2). having this in the mind, we got the following-

(180+z+180+v+180+w+180+x+180+y)/2=540

5*180+(z+w+v+x+y)=540*2
z+w+v+x+y=180
Join the discussion

by rijul007 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:40 am
Lasve wrote:Hi Guys I'm writing about a tricky question that took me quite a while to solve.

I wanted to ask your opinion about the solve method given by the OG, because I find it quite confusing and time consuming.

I think that a faster and easyer way to solve it would be:
i. Realize the center is a pentagon
ii. That means that the total internal angles are 180*(n-2) = 180 * (5-2) = 540
iii. That means that the Average internal angle is 108
iv. Realize that each internal angle is part of a 180-degrees Straight angle, That means that the complementary one (the Base of the triangle) is 180-108= 72
v. Since every triangle is 180 degree, the external angle must be 180-(72*2) = 36
vi. Multiply 36 for the number of external angles: 36*5=180


What do you think?
Did I get something wrong and solve it just for sheer luck or is it ok?
Thanks![/img]
This approach would have been correct if the pentagon was regualar, but we dont know that.
You got the correct answer because you were asked the sum of all angles v,w,x,y,z.
If the ques would have been, find x+y+z.
you would have got 36*3 = 108, which is wrong.
the data would be insufficient fot that summation.


check ou the figure
Image

a = v+m
e = v+n
a+e = v+m+n+v = 180+v
similarly similarly you can get expressions for other pairs of adjacent angles
a+b+b+c+c+d+d+e+e+a = 5(180) +v+w+x+y+z
2(a+b+c+d+e) = 900 + v+w+x+y+z
2(540) = 900 + v+w+x+y+z
1080-900 = v+w+x+y+z
v+w+x+y+z = 180

Option C
Join the discussion

by Lasve » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:32 am
Thank's for the answers!

Anyway, It is obvious that this method would not have worked if I had been asked to find only 3 of the sides!
But in that case it would have been impossible to determine them with no further information.

Moreover I treat the penthagon as regular because, since I'm asked to find out the sum of all angles, lesser and larger angles would compensate each other.
Join the discussion

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:07 am
Check here for an efficient approach (similar to that of the original poster, but more visual):

https://www.beatthegmat.com/og-diagnosti ... 69755.html
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3
Join the discussion

by ArunangsuSahu » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:34 pm
180 degree
Join the discussion

by Lasve » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:44 am
Thank's Guru, I did exactly as in the thread you post!
(althought I took me more than 10 minutes to do it!)
Join the discussion