gmatblood wrote:If x and y are integers such that x < y < 0, what is x - y?
(1) (x + y)(x - y) = 5
(2) xy = 6
Statement 1: (x + y)(x - y) = 5.
To yield a product of 5, only two combinations of factors are possible: 5 and 1, -5 and -1.
Since x and y are both negative integers, the factors needed here are -5 and -1.
Since it's not possible that x+y = -1 (the sum of two negative integers cannot be -1), we know that x+y = -5 and that x-y = -1.
SUFFICIENT.
Statement 2: xy=6.
If x=-6 and y=-1, then x-y = -6-(-1) = -5.
If x=-3 and y=-2, then x-y = -3-(-2) = -1.
INSUFFICIENT.
The correct answer is
A.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.
As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.
For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at
[email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3