BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Simple inequalities equation

Problem Solving — algebra and arithmetic (GMAT Focus Edition)
Expert replies
Source: — Quantitative Reasoning |

by Argen » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:55 am
When k is greater than 1, 1/k is less than 1 but still greater than 0. If 1/k>0 then 0<k.
Join the discussion

by Stacey Koprince » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:37 pm
Oops! Ignore this post - what I explained doesn't apply to this problem, as I should have seen if I'd re-read what I typed! (Though the first paragraph, below, is still true in general, so I left it.) See later post for clarification.

Be very careful when manipulating variables in inequalities. When you multiply or divide an inequality by a negative number, you have to reverse the sign. If you are multiplying or dividing by a variable and you don't know whether that variable is positive or negative, you have two scenarios:

[Removed this math so no one thinks it's valid - I was totally wrong!]
Last edited by Stacey Koprince on Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me
Join the discussion

by Argen » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:39 am
Hi Stacey, could you explain what you mean by if k is negative then 1<k. If k is negative then k<0<1. Also, if 1/k>0, then k can't be negative, right?
Join the discussion

by Stacey Koprince » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:01 am
Oops! Teach me to respond after a long day at work and while I'm trying to cook dinner at the same time. :)

I wasn't paying careful attention to the actual expression given and tried to explain something that doesn't even actually apply here. Ignore what I said before!

Yes, if you're given 1/k > 0, then k must represent a positive number. To solve for k, take the reciprocal of both sides and get k>0.

Alternatively you can test some numbers for k and see what works. k could equal 1, 2, 3, any positive integer. k could also equal 1/2, 1/3, or any positive fraction between zero and one. k can't equal zero (can't divide by zero) and it can't be negative (b/c the expression won't be true.

If you're not sure how to solve it algebraically and go the "try some numbers" route, it's important to try positive integers, positive fractions between zero and one, zero, one, negative numbers, and possibly negative fractions between zero and one (though this last one usually only comes into play on really hard questions). Each of those categories has specific / unique attributes when performing various operations. So when I initially narrowed it down to positive, I knew I had two categories of positive numbers to test: integers and fractions bet. zero and one.

Sorry about that! I'll go edit the old post so people don't read it and get messed up!
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me
Join the discussion