BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Equations & Functions

Expert replies
Source: — Problem Solving |

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:40 am
sparkle6 wrote:Find the value of 'a' if a(x^3) + 9(x^2) + 4x - 10 when divided by (x+3) leaves a remainder of 10.
a. -2
b. -1
c. 0
d. 1
e. 2
Holy out-of-scope, Batman :-)

This question requires knowledge of the Remainder Theorem - definitely not required knowledge for the GMAT.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com
Image
Join the discussion

Adding the synthetic divison method grab

by chetansharma » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:04 am
@Sparkle6,
Is the question correct?? If so, what is the OA?

@Brent,
I have tried solving the question using the synthetic division method, but not able to get the answer. Please check the solution below and let me know where I am going wrong.:cry: (Though this question is out of scope, I tried solving the question as the soln requires only high school standard mathematics. But I am not able to do so :x )

-3| a 9 4 -10
| -3a 9a-27 -27a+69
-------------------------------
a -3a+9 9a-23 -27a+59

As the remainder is stated as 10, -27a+59 = 10 => a= 49/27 :?: :roll:

Please let me know, where am I going wrong.

Regards
Chetan
_________________
If my post helped you - let me know by pushing the thanks button :wink:
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Synthetic division method grab as the web page is not displaying the method properly
Join the discussion

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:26 am
chetansharma wrote: @Brent,
I have tried solving the question using the synthetic division method, but not able to get the answer. Please check the solution below and let me know where I am going wrong.:cry: (Though this question is out of scope, I tried solving the question as the soln requires only high school standard mathematics. But I am not able to do so :x )

-3| a 9 4 -10
| -3a 9a-27 -27a+69
-------------------------------
a -3a+9 9a-23 -27a+59

As the remainder is stated as 10, -27a+59 = 10 => a= 49/27 :?: :roll:

Please let me know, where am I going wrong.
Yes, this is definitely a high-school-level question, but still out of scope GMAT-wise.

Nevertheless, let's solve the question.

The Remainder Theorem says something like: If f(x) divided by x-k leaves a remainder of z, then f(k) = z

So, we are told that f(x) = a(x^3) + 9(x^2) + 4x - 10, and we are told that f(x) divided by x+3 leaves a remainder of 10.

The Remainder Theorem tells us that f(-3) must equal 10

When we plug x = -3 into the function we get:
a(-3)^3 + 9(-3)^2 + 4(-3) - 10 = 10
Simplifying, we get -27a + 81 - 12 - 10 = 10
Simplifying more: -27a = -49
So, a = 49/27

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com
Image
Join the discussion

by chetansharma » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:49 pm
Brent@GMATPrepNow wrote:
chetansharma wrote: @Brent,
I have tried solving the question using the synthetic division method, but not able to get the answer. Please check the solution below and let me know where I am going wrong.:cry: (Though this question is out of scope, I tried solving the question as the soln requires only high school standard mathematics. But I am not able to do so :x )

-3| a 9 4 -10
| -3a 9a-27 -27a+69
-------------------------------
a -3a+9 9a-23 -27a+59

As the remainder is stated as 10, -27a+59 = 10 => a= 49/27 :?: :roll:

Please let me know, where am I going wrong.
Yes, this is definitely a high-school-level question, but still out of scope GMAT-wise.

Nevertheless, let's solve the question.

The Remainder Theorem says something like: If f(x) divided by x-k leaves a remainder of z, then f(k) = z

So, we are told that f(x) = a(x^3) + 9(x^2) + 4x - 10, and we are told that f(x) divided by x+3 leaves a remainder of 10.

The Remainder Theorem tells us that f(-3) must equal 10

When we plug x = -3 into the function we get:
a(-3)^3 + 9(-3)^2 + 4(-3) - 10 = 10
Simplifying, we get -27a + 81 - 12 - 10 = 10
Simplifying more: -27a = -49
So, a = 49/27

Cheers,
Brent
So I have solved it correctly B-) :D
I have rechecked my soln so many times as I was not arriving at the answer.
Thanks Brent for confirming my answer.

Regards,
Chetan

_________________
If my post helped you - let me know by pushing the thanks button :wink:
Join the discussion

by saketk » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:54 am
Brent - again, this is a CAT (common admission test) type of question.. this exam is held for admission in IIMs (indian institute of management ) -


the options given are also incorrect. - though this one is simple but I guess we need a Beat the CAT for these questions. :D
Join the discussion

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:02 am
saketk wrote:Brent - again, this is a CAT (common admission test) type of question.. this exam is held for admission in IIMs (indian institute of management ) -

the options given are also incorrect. - though this one is simple but I guess we need a Beat the CAT for these questions. :D
I agree 100%.

This happens to be one of my beefs: when out-of-scope questions are posted on this webiste, they only serve to frustrate/intimidate/frighten students who are interested in learning only what is required to conquer the GMAT.

I won't go on any further, since I've already elaborated on this beef in previous posts :-)

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com
Image
Join the discussion