BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Math; Number Properties Problem (Easy)

Expert replies
by bkk_marc » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:39 pm
Which of the following CANNOT be a product of two distinct positive integers a and b?

A) a

B) b

C) 3b+2a

D)b-a

E)ba

Answer :D

I am confuse why answer choice C. I understand the Answer, but I don't understand the answer C.
Dum vivimus, vivamus....
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:47 am
bkk_marc wrote:Which of the following CANNOT be a product of two distinct positive integers a and b?

A) a

B) b

C) 3b+2a

D)b-a

E)ba

Answer :D

I am confuse why answer choice C. I understand the Answer, but I don't understand the answer C.
Answer choice D: ab = b-a
Since a and b are positive integers, their product must be greater than their difference.
Thus, answer choice D is not possible.

The correct answer is D.

Another approach is to show that the other four answer choices ARE possible.

Let a=1 and b=2.
Then ab = 1*2 = 2.
Eliminate any answer choice that is equal to 2.
Eliminate B (since b=2) and E (since ba = 2*1 = 2).

Let a=2 and b=1.
Then ab = 2*1 = 2.
Eliminate any remaining answer choice that is equal to 2.
Eliminate A (since a=2).

Answer choice C: ab = 3b+2a.
ab - 2a = 3b
a(b-2) = 3b
a = 3b/(b-2).

Plug in a value for b and solve for a.
Let b=3.
Then a= (3*3)/(3-2) = 9.
Thus, if a=9 and b=3, then ab = 3b+2a:
9*3 = 3*3 + 2*9.
27 = 27.
Eliminate C.
Last edited by GMATGuruNY on Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3
Join the discussion

by saketk » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:46 am
bkk_marc wrote:Which of the following CANNOT be a product of two distinct positive integers a and b?

A) a

B) b

C) 3b+2a

D)b-a

E)ba

Answer :D

I am confuse why answer choice C. I understand the Answer, but I don't understand the answer C.
Thanks Mitch, Your explanations are always self explanatory!
Hi bkk_marc, I hope you were able to eliminate option A,B,& E very quickly. Now, Quickest way to solve this question is to choose numbers to eliminate the option.

Let's start with option C.

If this were to be right, the equation will look like this-

3b+2a=ab
divide both sides by a. the equation will become

3b/a= b-2

Let b=3 & a= 9

Clearly this satisfies the given equation. Hence, we can safely eliminate this choice.

We are left with only option and that is D

PS: Logically, if you look at the option D - the value of the expression will always be less that A & B (given = A and B are positive integer). Since, this is not possible... we can directly choose this option.
Join the discussion