BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

percents question

Expert replies
by galit_d2d » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:57 am
hi, learning now the plugging in principle. but I don't understand where should I plug in first in percent questions
like:
if 80% of a certain number x is 50% of y and y is 20% of z then what is x in terms of z?
1.5z
2.3z
3.z/4
4.z/5
5.z/8

the answer is 5. in the book they plug in 100 for x, I do understand why they took especially 100 but I can't understand why they chose x to plug in...
hope for a help...me galit
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

Re: percents question

by Musiq » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:26 am
galit_d2d wrote:hi, learning now the plugging in principle. but I don't understand where should I plug in first in percent questions
like:
if 80% of a certain number x is 50% of y and y is 20% of z then what is x in terms of z?
1.5z
2.3z
3.z/4
4.z/5
5.z/8

the answer is 5. in the book they plug in 100 for x, I do understand why they took especially 100 but I can't understand why they chose x to plug in...
hope for a help...me galit
Hi Galit,

This is a great picking numbers question.

X is needed to define Y.
Y is needed to define Z.

In theory, you could pick a number for Y and still get the answer, but its much more mathematically and mentally involved, rather than just picking a number for X.

There's also a further clue in how the question is phrased " What is X in terms of Z?". That tells us again that X is important.
For love, not money.
Join the discussion

by galit_d2d » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:19 am
thanx for the explanation:)
but well...I don't seem to get this after all...
I tried plugging into z and well it did work that way, I think;)
well the answer was correct...
Join the discussion

by mleviko » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:58 am
Hi Galit,

I think you should plug-in as you wish, as long as it suits you. Try to think about a good plugged-in number that can handle the manipulations done to it in the question stem.

In a percentage question, the magical number is of course 100, and in my opinion you could plug-in 100 anywhere you wanted. Z is good enough to start with.

Z=100
and then: Y = 20 * Z / 100 = 20
and then: 80 * X / 100 = 50 * Y / 100 = 10
so: X = 10 * 100 / 80 = 100 / 8

We then have to recall that Z=100 , so look at the possible answers and see that one of them (5) is Z/8 = 100/8 in our case.


This was just to show that solving from Z backwars to X is possible as well, if you get quickly enough to the right solution.

Cheers
Smashed the GMAT: 760
Join the discussion

by Musiq » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:37 pm
galit_d2d wrote:thanx for the explanation:)
but well...I don't seem to get this after all...
I tried plugging into z and well it did work that way, I think;)
well the answer was correct...
Hi Galit,

Like mleviko correctly pointed out and like I have already said, this questiosn can be done with picking either of the 3 variables.

But, its best to start with X, since the equations are set up as such and also the question talks about X in terms of Z.

I only restate this because, as the problems keep getting harder and harder on the GMAT CAT, strategies like Picking Numbers and Backsolving best work when applied with a little more discretion AND focus.

One such place to look for direction, is the question itself.
For love, not money.
Join the discussion

by AleksandrM » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:42 pm
Forget about picking numbers. You are not being asked for a number. Just solve it using algebra:

.8x = .5y and y = .2z

then .8x =.5(.2z)

.8x = .1z

you are being asked to solve for x:

x = .1z/.8, then just multiply numerator and denominator by 100, and simplify into z/8.
Join the discussion

by richardwang6430 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:28 pm
Great solution!
Join the discussion