BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Socks in a drawer

Expert replies
by parkman » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:43 pm
Question from the Beat the GMAT pool (sorry if I'm not supposed to post this)
My question is not on how to do it. The answer was sufficiently explained. My question is regarding the likelyness a question with this type of phrasing will appear on the GMAT

A drawer contains 36 socks, and 2 socks are selected at random without replacement. What is the probability that both socks are black?

(1) The probability is 4/9 that the first sock is black.

(2) The number of white socks in the drawer is 4 more than the number of black socks.


The answer is A. I spent 20 min trying to figure out why it wasn't D before finally looking at the explanation. The explanation was that since the problem did not specify that all the socks in the drawer with either black or white, that left the possibility that there were other colored socks so (2) was not sufficient. ARGGGG This was like a no brainer and took 20 seconds, then bam, wrong. Very frustrated. I am trying to read the questions more carefully, but seem to get tripped up on phrasing quite a bit. I have posted several questions where I have had difficulty, and have had responses from moderators that thought the wording of the questions was questionable. However those questions were from unofficial sources so I'm not questioning the wording of the question here specifically, but there seems to be a fine line from tricky to unclear.

I start this question out in the MGMAT stsyle.
1. Is is a Y/N or Value questions (Value)
2. Paraphrase (How many Black socks are there?)

I guess this is where I messed up. Phrasing this way makes me look for X, with X being the number of black socks, or X = 36 -(number of non black socks). Since number (2) gives white as a non black sock, it has the effect of polarizing the choices. When you think of white, you automatically think of black like a reciprocal, in which case there are only 2 choice. x, and 1/x.

Ok so they tricked me, I paraphrased incorrectly and left out the possibility of another non black or white sock color. Guess this is me venting. But does anyone have any suggestions on how to approach these type of questions better? At the same time, I don't want to waste 2 min looking for every in and out of a question which essentially negates the whole purpose of paraphrasing in the first place.

-Thanks, Frustrated GMAT Taker
Join the discussion
Source: — Data Sufficiency |

by vineeshp » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:05 am
Very difficult to predict, pal.

It is a fairly difficult question. But now with practice and having seen the nuances of this question, you will solve a similar question faster. Dont you think?

Don worry about what you will see on the GMAT. Just be ready for whatever they throw at you.

And hey, if you are getting too many of those, it means you are doing well!
You'll do well.
Vineesh,
Just telling you what I know and think. I am not the expert. :)
Join the discussion

by parkman » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:06 am
Thanks for your support vineeshp. And you are correct. I have started approaching problems more tentatively which is something that just comes with practice I guess.
Join the discussion

by [email protected] » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:11 pm
parkman wrote:Question from the Beat the GMAT pool (sorry if I'm not supposed to post this)
My question is not on how to do it. The answer was sufficiently explained. My question is regarding the likelyness a question with this type of phrasing will appear on the GMAT

A drawer contains 36 socks, and 2 socks are selected at random without replacement. What is the probability that both socks are black?

(1) The probability is 4/9 that the first sock is black.

(2) The number of white socks in the drawer is 4 more than the number of black socks.


ACCORDING TO ME THE ANSWER IS A:
STATEMENT 2: WE DON'T KNOW WHETHER THE DRAWER CONTAINS ONLY BLACK AND WHITE SOCKS. THERE MAY BE OTHER COLOUR SOCKS IN THE DRAWER.

ANSWER IS A. I AM 100% SURE.


The answer is A. I spent 20 min trying to figure out why it wasn't D before finally looking at the explanation. The explanation was that since the problem did not specify that all the socks in the drawer with either black or white, that left the possibility that there were other colored socks so (2) was not sufficient. ARGGGG This was like a no brainer and took 20 seconds, then bam, wrong. Very frustrated. I am trying to read the questions more carefully, but seem to get tripped up on phrasing quite a bit. I have posted several questions where I have had difficulty, and have had responses from moderators that thought the wording of the questions was questionable. However those questions were from unofficial sources so I'm not questioning the wording of the question here specifically, but there seems to be a fine line from tricky to unclear.

I start this question out in the MGMAT stsyle.
1. Is is a Y/N or Value questions (Value)
2. Paraphrase (How many Black socks are there?)

I guess this is where I messed up. Phrasing this way makes me look for X, with X being the number of black socks, or X = 36 -(number of non black socks). Since number (2) gives white as a non black sock, it has the effect of polarizing the choices. When you think of white, you automatically think of black like a reciprocal, in which case there are only 2 choice. x, and 1/x.

Ok so they tricked me, I paraphrased incorrectly and left out the possibility of another non black or white sock color. Guess this is me venting. But does anyone have any suggestions on how to approach these type of questions better? At the same time, I don't want to waste 2 min looking for every in and out of a question which essentially negates the whole purpose of paraphrasing in the first place.

-Thanks, Frustrated GMAT Taker
Join the discussion