BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

perfect square problem

Expert replies
by robk100 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:27 pm
If A and B are positive integers and 12AB is a perfect square, then which of the following CANNOT be possible values for A and B?

A) A=6, B=6
B) A=8, B=8
C) A=9, B=25
D) A=9, B=36
E) A=12, B=48

I'm under the impression that perfect square means you can take the square root of the number and get a whole number. But it doesn't seem like 12AB produces any perfect squares. Am I misinterpreting the problem? help please!

Thanks
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by StarDust845 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:51 am
Did you get the question right?
Join the discussion

by robk100 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:56 pm
I did not get the question right. BTW the answer is C but I don't get it.
Join the discussion

by StarDust845 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:16 pm
robk100 wrote:I did not get the question right. BTW the answer is C but I don't get it.
No, I am not asking whether you answered the question right. I am asking whether the question you have posted is correct? Can you double check? Because for none of those values 12AB is a perfect square.
Join the discussion

by solaris » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:25 pm
I feel the same way - there's something funky about that question.
Join the discussion

by II » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:02 pm
I agree guys ...

Robk100 ... where did you get this question from ? can you please double check it ?

Another question:
What is the quickest way to find out if a number is a perfect square or not ?
For example, take 12384. How would you find out if this number was a perfect square quickly ?
Any quick shortcuts to finding perfect squares out there ?

Thanks.
II
Join the discussion

Re: perfect square problem

by Stuart@KaplanGMAT » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:58 pm
robk100 wrote:If A and B are positive integers and 12AB is a perfect square, then which of the following CANNOT be possible values for A and B?

A) A=6, B=6
B) A=8, B=8
C) A=9, B=25
D) A=9, B=36
E) A=12, B=48

I'm under the impression that perfect square means you can take the square root of the number and get a whole number. But it doesn't seem like 12AB produces any perfect squares. Am I misinterpreting the problem? help please!

Thanks
There's definitely something wrong with the question.

12AB means 12*A*B

For any number to be a perfect square, it has to be composed of pairs of primes.

For example, 2*2, 3*3, 2*2*3*3, 7*7*11*11 will all be perfect squares;

while 2*3*3, 3*5, 5*5*7 will not be perfect squares.

So, we need to break 12AB down into primes.

12 = 2*2*3. Therefore, in order for 12AB to be a perfect square, we need one more 3 and the rest of AB has to be made up of pairs of primes.

Let's look at the choices:

(A) a=6, b=6 so 12AB = 2*2*3*2*3*2*3... odd # of 3s, not a PS

(B) a=8, b=8 so 12AB = 2*2*3*2*2*2*2*2*2... odd # of 3s, not a PS

(C) a=9, b=25 so 12AB = 2*2*3*3*3*5*5... odd # of 3s, not a PS

(D) a=9, b=36 so 12AB = 2*2*3*3*3*2*2*3*3... odd # of 3s, not a PS

(E) a=12, b=48 so 12AB = 2*2*3*2*2*3*2*2*2*2*3... odd # of 3s, not a PS

soo.. none of the answers can be PSs, they're all correct!
Image

Stuart Kovinsky | Kaplan GMAT Faculty | Toronto

Kaplan Exclusive: The Official Test Day Experience | Ready to Take a Free Practice Test? | Kaplan/Beat the GMAT Member Discount
BTG100 for $100 off a full course
Join the discussion

re:

by robk100 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:56 pm
I printed the question exactly how it came in the book. It's from the Insider's Guide to the GMAT CAT. I believe it was from the problem solving section 2, problem #4. And it said something about 25X9 is not divisible by 12 therefore the answer must be C. I guess the book made an error. Thank you for all your replies
Join the discussion

by yalephd2007 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:05 am
thanks, everyone
Join the discussion

by shaz » Fri May 09, 2008 1:46 am
The problem is as simple as no perfect square can end with 2,3,7 and 8.
So B AND E can be the answers.for others I dont know.
Join the discussion

Re: perfect square problem

by dorian_alb » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:14 am
robk100 wrote:If A and B are positive integers and 12AB is a perfect square, then which of the following CANNOT be possible values for A and B?

A) A=6, B=6
B) A=8, B=8
C) A=9, B=25
D) A=9, B=36
E) A=12, B=48

I'm under the impression that perfect square means you can take the square root of the number and get a whole number. But it doesn't seem like 12AB produces any perfect squares. Am I misinterpreting the problem? help please!

Thanks

I think the right answer is E, i.e. when A=12 and B=48, 12*A*B CANNOT be a perfect square.

Here is the reasoning:

When A=12, 12*A*B can be a PS only if B=1 (or other numbers like 144) because 12*12*1= 144. It is given that A=12. So I think B must be equal to 1. Perhaps it could be equal to other numbers like 144 itself, but for sure it is not 48.

So the other case is 12*A*B=12*12*144. B is either 1 or 144, as I see it, but not 48.

I'm not 100% sure though, guys. Any other possible solutions appreciated. :)

Take care,
d.
Join the discussion

by pradeep1982 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:42 am
hi,

i m new to this forum first of all thank you for this beautiful forum

The answer to this problem will be C option as follows :

if the last two digits of perfect square are 25 then the no can only end with 5.

now as per option C - no is 12925

so 129 & 25 --->

25 --> 5

but 129 -- 43 x 3 here 43 is prime no so 129 cannot be converted into perfect square.

so with 9 & 25 of option C --- perfect square no possible.
Join the discussion