dell2 wrote:
Please explain both statements. thanks.
The formula for the area of trapezoid is (b1 + b2)/2 * h.
In the given trapezoid, b1 = AB and b2 = CD.
Draw the perpendiculars:

Because angle CAB=angle ABD, angle ACD=angle BDC, and the two perpendiculars are equal, the two triangles in the figure above are congruent (all corresponding angles are equal, as are all corresponding sides).
Thus, if we know the value of one angle in one of the triangles, we can determine the values of x and h, allowing us to calculate the area.
If we know the value of x, we can determine the value of h, allowing us to calculate the area.
Statement 1: angle CAB = 120.
Thus, the angles in the triangles must be 30-60-90:

Sufficient.
Statement 2: p=36.
Thus, x=4:

Sufficient.
The correct answer is
D.
Last edited by
GMATGuruNY on Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.
As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.
For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at
[email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3