BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

OG 12 Problem 208

Expert replies
by menacel » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:29 pm
I've searched for this problem and found a previous thread, but the answers didn't really help me out, see here: https://www.beatthegmat.com/if-x-not-equ ... tml#264953

The question is:

Given: (x+1/x -1)^2

If x ≠ 0 and x ≠ 1, and if x is replaced by 1/x everywhere in the expression above, then the resulting expression
is equivalent to

Stole this
Image

[spoiler]A (x+1/x-1)^2[/spoiler]

I understand most of the simplification, but what I don't understand is when we introduce an "X" out of no where to eliminate the compound fractions. I must have missed this in grade school, but can anyone explain where it comes from?

[ ((1/x)+1) / ((1/x)-1)]^2 --> [ (x*((1/x)+1)) / (x*((1/x)-1) ] ^2 ==> ( 1+x / 1-x) ^2
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:45 pm
Image

Much easier to plug in. Plug in x=2.

Then 1/x = 1/2.

When 1/2 is used in place of x in the given expression, we get:

[ (1/2 + 1) / (1/2 - 1) ]²

= [ (3/2)/(-1/2) ]²

= (-3)²

= 9.

Now we plug x=2 into all the answer choices to see which yields our target of 9.

Only answer choice A works:
[(x+1)/(x-1)]² = [(2+1)/(2-1)]² = 3² = 9.

A quick look at the other answer choices will show that none of them will yield 9 when we plug in x=2.

The correct answer is A.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3
Join the discussion

by menacel » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:48 pm
Thanks, that's how I got by when I solved it.

But the OG's answer was a tad bit confusing for me.
Join the discussion

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:55 pm
menacel wrote:Thanks, that's how I got by when I solved it.

But the OG's answer was a tad bit confusing for me.
I discourage my students from reading the math explanations in the OG, which frequently do not offer the best approach.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3
Join the discussion

by Anurag@Gurome » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:16 am
menacel wrote:I understand most of the simplification, but what I don't understand is when we introduce an "X" out of no where to eliminate the compound fractions. I must have missed this in grade school, but can anyone explain where it comes from?

[ ((1/x)+1) / ((1/x)-1)]^2 --> [ (x*((1/x)+1)) / (x*((1/x)-1) ] ^2 ==> ( 1+x / 1-x) ^2
That's because multiplication of the numerator and denominator of a fraction by the same nonzero quantity doesn't change the value of the fraction. Hence, multiplication with x doesn't change the value of the fraction, also it helps us to convert (1/x) to 1 in both the numerator and denominator.
Anurag Mairal, Ph.D., MBA
GMAT Expert, Admissions and Career Guidance
Gurome, Inc.
1-800-566-4043 (USA)

Join Our Facebook Groups
GMAT with Gurome
https://www.facebook.com/groups/272466352793633/
Admissions with Gurome
https://www.facebook.com/groups/461459690536574/
Career Advising with Gurome
https://www.facebook.com/groups/360435787349781/
Join the discussion

by ahadi » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:39 pm
I discourage my students from reading the math explanations in the OG, which frequently do not offer the best approach.[/quote]

Hi,

Please advise which explanations for the PS in the OG do you recommend. I agree the OG often provides long-winded answers to most of the questions.
Join the discussion

by smackmartine » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:38 pm
IMO A
(x+1/x -1)^2

Replacing x by 1/x we get
[(1+x)/(1-x)]^2 as (1-x)^2 = (x-1)^2 , we can rewrite the expression

(x+1/x -1)^2
So,A
Join the discussion

by cans » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:37 am
IMO A
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

Contact me about long distance tutoring!
[email protected]

Cans!!
Join the discussion