BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

kaplan rate quetion

Expert replies
by resilient » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:29 am
in 1966, the operative mortality rate in open heart surgery at certain hospital was 8.1 per 100 cases. By 1974, the operative mortality rate had declined to 4.8 per 100 cases. If the rate declined by 20 % from 1973- 19474, by approximately what perent did it decline from 1966 to 1973?

a. 6%
b.21%
c.26%
d.41%
e.49%

Stuart can you help, this is a pretty easy question but I am getting lost in the words and not understanding the question and how to move forward!












qa is C..
Appetite for 700 and I scraped my plate!
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by xilef » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:58 am
We need to find the rate reduction from 1966 to 1973. We have 1966 but not 1973. We know that the rate for 1974 is 4.8 which is a 20% reduction from 1973. Let the rate for 1973 be X:

X-(.2X)=4.8
X= 4.8/.8
X=6

Now we know that the rate in 1973 was 6 per 100 cases, so the reduction from 1966 to 1973 is 8.1-6 or 2.1. The questions asks for %, so we find that 2.1 is 26% of 8.1. Answer C.
Join the discussion

xilef

by resilient » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:14 am
For some reason, I am trying to answer this in a much different way. I cant see the logic in the way you set up your equation.

my way: I wanted to get 80% of the difference between 8.1 and 4.8 and this will get my number for 1973. After that the rest is easy! Am I on the right track?
Appetite for 700 and I scraped my plate!
Join the discussion

by xilef » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:27 am
4.8 in 1974 is 80% of the rate in 1973, that's what 20% reduction means. Now you know both 1966 and 1973, from here you can find the rate reduction %.

No, you can't take 80% of the difference between 8.1 and 4.8.
4.8 is 80% of 6 and you are looking for what % is 2.1 (8.1-6) of 8.1.
You should review percentages.
Join the discussion

i understand

by resilient » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:07 am
I have a pretty good handle on the percentages. I see where I went wrong. I misunderstood the last sentence. I overall looked at the question in the wrong way! Thanks Xilef!
Appetite for 700 and I scraped my plate!
Join the discussion