BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Diagonals of a Cube

Expert replies
by edvhou812 » Wed May 11, 2011 7:19 pm
If the box pictured to the right is a cube, then the difference in length between line segment BC and line segment AB is approximately what fraction of the distance from A to C?

Image

A - 10%
B - 20%
C - 30%
D - 40%
E - 50%

Answer: C

This question has been bugging me. The method I used had the following:

AC=x <Side of Cube>
AB=x*sqrt(2) <40-40-90 triangle for the diagonal of a face>
BC=sqrt(3x) <formula for space diagonal of a cube>

However I have gotten the question wrong numerous times with this method because I get the wrong value for BC. Official explanation says I should use the Pythagorean Theorem to determine the value of BC, but I'm perplexed as to why my method did not work. Is anyone able to give some insight?
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by Anurag@Gurome » Wed May 11, 2011 8:47 pm
edvhou812 wrote:If the box pictured to the right is a cube, then the difference in length between line segment BC and line segment AB is approximately what fraction of the distance from A to C?

Image

A - 10%
B - 20%
C - 30%
D - 40%
E - 50%

Answer: C

This question has been bugging me. The method I used had the following:

AC=x <Side of Cube>
AB=x*sqrt(2) <40-40-90 triangle for the diagonal of a face>
BC=sqrt(3x) <formula for space diagonal of a cube>

However I have gotten the question wrong numerous times with this method because I get the wrong value for BC. Official explanation says I should use the Pythagorean Theorem to determine the value of BC, but I'm perplexed as to why my method did not work. Is anyone able to give some insight?
Solution:
Let AC be of length x.
The line segment BC is sqrt(x^2 + x^2 + x^2) = x*sqrt3.
Line segment AB is sqrt(x^2 + x^2) = x*sqrt2.
Difference in length of BC and AB is x*(sqrt3 - sqrt2) = x*(1.732 - 1.414) = x*(0.3)
So, required % is 0.3x/x * 100 = 30%.
Anurag Mairal, Ph.D., MBA
GMAT Expert, Admissions and Career Guidance
Gurome, Inc.
1-800-566-4043 (USA)

Join Our Facebook Groups
GMAT with Gurome
https://www.facebook.com/groups/272466352793633/
Admissions with Gurome
https://www.facebook.com/groups/461459690536574/
Career Advising with Gurome
https://www.facebook.com/groups/360435787349781/
Join the discussion

by edvhou812 » Wed May 11, 2011 9:00 pm
Anurag@Gurome wrote:
edvhou812 wrote:If the box pictured to the right is a cube, then the difference in length between line segment BC and line segment AB is approximately what fraction of the distance from A to C?

Image

A - 10%
B - 20%
C - 30%
D - 40%
E - 50%

Answer: C

This question has been bugging me. The method I used had the following:

AC=x <Side of Cube>
AB=x*sqrt(2) <40-40-90 triangle for the diagonal of a face>
BC=sqrt(3x) <formula for space diagonal of a cube>

However I have gotten the question wrong numerous times with this method because I get the wrong value for BC. Official explanation says I should use the Pythagorean Theorem to determine the value of BC, but I'm perplexed as to why my method did not work. Is anyone able to give some insight?
Solution:
Let AC be of length x.
The line segment BC is sqrt(x^2 + x^2 + x^2) = x*sqrt3.
Line segment AB is sqrt(x^2 + x^2) = x*sqrt2.
Difference in length of BC and AB is x*(sqrt3 - sqrt2) = x*(1.732 - 1.414) = x*(0.3)
So, required % is 0.3x/x * 100 = 30%.
I see. I goofed the space diagonal formula. Thanks for the response.
Join the discussion

by GMATGuruNY » Thu May 12, 2011 3:49 am
edvhou812 wrote:If the box pictured to the right is a cube, then the difference in length between line segment BC and line segment AB is approximately what fraction of the distance from A to C?

Image

A - 10%
B - 20%
C - 30%
D - 40%
E - 50%

Answer: C

This question has been bugging me. The method I used had the following:

AC=x <Side of Cube>
AB=x*sqrt(2) <40-40-90 triangle for the diagonal of a face>
BC=sqrt(3x) <formula for space diagonal of a cube>

However I have gotten the question wrong numerous times with this method because I get the wrong value for BC. Official explanation says I should use the Pythagorean Theorem to determine the value of BC, but I'm perplexed as to why my method did not work. Is anyone able to give some insight?
Let s = side of each square face.

It is helpful to have memorized the following:
Diagonal of the cube = √(3s^2).
Diagonal of each square face = s√2.

Let AC = 1.
BC = √(3* 1^2) = √3.
AB = 1*√2 = √2.
BC - AB = √3-√2 ≈ 1.7 - 1.4 ≈ .3.
Difference/AC = .3/1 = 30/100 = 30%.

The correct answer is C.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3
Join the discussion

by djiddish98 » Thu May 12, 2011 7:48 am
I've seen the BeatTheGMAT flash cards indicate that we should know the actual value of sqrt(3) and sqrt(2), but I'd never seen a question that actually required that knowledge.

So should I know that sqrt(3) = 1.7 and sqrt(2) = 1.4 - or is this an odd question?
Join the discussion

by GMATGuruNY » Thu May 12, 2011 8:12 am
djiddish98 wrote:I've seen the BeatTheGMAT flash cards indicate that we should know the actual value of sqrt(3) and sqrt(2), but I'd never seen a question that actually required that knowledge.

So should I know that sqrt(3) = 1.7 and sqrt(2) = 1.4 - or is this an odd question?
Knowing that √3 ≈ 1.7 and that √2 ≈ 1.4 can certainly be helpful.
Consider the following problem:

Image

One approach would be to plug in a value for n.
Let n = 2.
Then 1/(√(n+1) - √n)
= 1/(√3-√2)
≈ 1/(1.7-1.4)
= 1/.3
= 10/3.

Now we plug n=2 into all the answers to see which yields a value close to 10/3.

Only answer choice E works:
√(n+1) + √n
= √(2+1) + √2
= √3 + √2
≈ 1.7 + 1.4
≈ 3.1, which is very close to 10/3.

The correct answer is E.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3
Join the discussion

by djiddish98 » Thu May 12, 2011 9:36 am
Thanks for the example - it makes sense to come equipped with as many tools in the tool belt as possible, I suppose!
Join the discussion