BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Confusing absolute value problem

Expert replies
Source: — Problem Solving |

by smar83 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:30 am
is the answer E ?
Join the discussion

by netigen » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:21 pm
smar83 wrote:is the answer E ?
Ans is actually [D]
Join the discussion

by ash g » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:13 am
Can you also provide explanation for answer choice [D]. It will be very interesting to understand the explantion. I think it will have to do something with the wording "could be true".

From OG11 DS explanation, what I understand is that
If |x| = +x, then x is zero or positive i.e. x >= 0
If |x| = -x , then x is zero or negative i.e. x <= 0
If both are true, then obviously x=0.

I think answer should be .
Join the discussion

by netigen » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:08 pm
ash g wrote:Can you also provide explanation for answer choice [D]. It will be very interesting to understand the explantion. I think it will have to do something with the wording "could be true".

From OG11 DS explanation, what I understand is that
If |x| = +x, then x is zero or positive i.e. x >= 0
If |x| = -x , then x is zero or negative i.e. x <= 0
If both are true, then obviously x=0.

I think answer should be .


|x| is always positive for all x (thats the absolute value concept)

The explanation is given below but I was not able to make it out and hence the posting here:


Example: If x = ±|x| , then which one of the following statements could be true?
I. x = 0
II. x < 0
III. x > 0
(A) None (B) I only (C) III only (D) I and II (E) II and III
Statement I could be true because ±|0| = -(+0)= -(0) = 0 . Statement II could be true because the
right side of the equation is always negative [ ±|x| = –(a positive number) = a negative number].
Now, if one side of an equation is always negative, then the other side must always be negative,
otherwise the opposite sides of the equation would not be equal. Since Statement III is the
opposite of Statement II, it must be false. But let’s show this explicitly: Suppose x were positive.
Then |x| = x, and the equation x = ±|x| becomes x = –x. Dividing both sides of this equation by x
yields 1 = –1. This is contradiction. Hence, x cannot be positive. The answer is (D).
Join the discussion

by Stuart@KaplanGMAT » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:53 pm
netigen wrote:
ash g wrote:Can you also provide explanation for answer choice [D]. It will be very interesting to understand the explantion. I think it will have to do something with the wording "could be true".

From OG11 DS explanation, what I understand is that
If |x| = +x, then x is zero or positive i.e. x >= 0
If |x| = -x , then x is zero or negative i.e. x <= 0
If both are true, then obviously x=0.

I think answer should be .


|x| is always positive for all x (thats the absolute value concept)

The explanation is given below but I was not able to make it out and hence the posting here:


Example: If x = ±|x| , then which one of the following statements could be true?
I. x = 0
II. x < 0
III. x > 0
(A) None (B) I only (C) III only (D) I and II (E) II and III
Statement I could be true because ±|0| = -(+0)= -(0) = 0 . Statement II could be true because the
right side of the equation is always negative [ ±|x| = –(a positive number) = a negative number].
Now, if one side of an equation is always negative, then the other side must always be negative,
otherwise the opposite sides of the equation would not be equal. Since Statement III is the
opposite of Statement II, it must be false. But let’s show this explicitly: Suppose x were positive.
Then |x| = x, and the equation x = ±|x| becomes x = –x. Dividing both sides of this equation by x
yields 1 = –1. This is contradiction. Hence, x cannot be positive. The answer is (D).


I have to confess, I understand neither the question nor the explanation.

My main question is:

what does the original information mean?

I could mean:

x = + OR - |x|

or it could mean

x = + AND - |x|

If the former is true, then x could be positive or negative and the answer should be all of the above.

If the latter is true, then the only possible value for x is 0 and (b) should be the right answer.

Anyone else as confused as I am?
Image

Stuart Kovinsky | Kaplan GMAT Faculty | Toronto

Kaplan Exclusive: The Official Test Day Experience | Ready to Take a Free Practice Test? | Kaplan/Beat the GMAT Member Discount
BTG100 for $100 off a full course
Join the discussion

by ash g » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:04 pm
okee. Thanks for posting the explanation. If the sign ± actually mean multiplying by (1)(-1) i.e by (-1), [as per the explanation provided, this is what they mean]
then the statement x=±|x| can be simplified into:
x = -|x|
or
|x| = -x.

which according to my statement before
=> If |x| = -x , then x is zero or negative i.e. x <= 0
makes I and II correct.

+ in ± is redundant.
I said initially because I took the statement x=±|x| to mean 2 sub statements x = +|x| AND x = -|x|.

Can I ask where did you get this problem from ?
Join the discussion

by netigen » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:18 pm
Nova's GMAT prep course page 76

somehow the author is evaluating equation x = ±|x| becomes x = –x

which sounds like a mistake because in my opinion it should be

equation x = ±|x| becomes x = ±(+x) = ±x

So from my perspective all three cases suffice as a valid answer.
Join the discussion