BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Gut Feeling vs. Mathematical Proof

Expert replies
by Aero20 » Wed May 04, 2011 7:42 am
Going through practice problems, it seems like there are quite a few DS questions where I don't have the skills or time to mathematically prove that the statements are sufficient or not sufficient, but I have a feeling, or "sense" of the sufficiency. When I read the OG answers, I can follow along the math, but I likely wouldn't have come up with the formulas or whatever myself (at least without a lot of time).

What's the community's opinion on going with your gut? Is it somewhat expected in order to complete the test in time that you'll have to go with a lot of hunches if you're getting a lot of hard questions?

(Aiming for 700+)
Join the discussion
Source: — Data Sufficiency |

by VivianKerr » Thu May 05, 2011 6:30 am
Hi Aero,

I think the only safe time to "go with your gut" is when you've practiced so many DS that you are recognizing the same tested concepts over and over and you see a question that is 99% like one you've seen before. DS is more logic-based than PS, so that "gut feeling" IS important overall.

However, my ultimate verdict is that it's dangerous to try and "go with your gut" on most questions, especially if you're aiming for 700+. Sometimes DS are NOT as simple as they first appear. My concern would be that your "go with your gut" approach would actually lead to more incorrect answers, and a lack of really understanding the Math involved to solve.

You may need to "go with your gut" sometimes on practice tests for pacing reasons, but when you are studying, now is the time to really break each question down and get into the nitty-gritty. Make sure you aren't just looking for an easy way out. ;)
Vivian Kerr
GMAT Rockstar, Tutor
https://www.GMATrockstar.com
https://www.yelp.com/biz/gmat-rockstar-los-angeles

Former Kaplan and Grockit instructor, freelance GMAT content creator, now offering affordable, effective, Skype-tutoring for the GMAT at $150/hr. Contact: [email protected]

Thank you for all the "thanks" and "follows"! :-)
Join the discussion

by MAAJ » Thu May 05, 2011 8:00 am
I'm not even near to 700 but by my own personal experience, when I answer a DS question with the "gut feeling" I have a 50% chance to get it wrong. I think that most people will tell you the same.

Although, I think its better to guess on DS than on PS questions...
"There's a difference between interest and commitment. When you're interested in doing something, you do it only when circumstance permit. When you're committed to something, you accept no excuses, only results."
Join the discussion

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Thu May 05, 2011 8:23 am
Aero20 wrote:Going through practice problems, it seems like there are quite a few DS questions where I don't have the skills or time to mathematically prove that the statements are sufficient or not sufficient, but I have a feeling, or "sense" of the sufficiency. When I read the OG answers, I can follow along the math, but I likely wouldn't have come up with the formulas or whatever myself (at least without a lot of time).

What's the community's opinion on going with your gut? Is it somewhat expected in order to complete the test in time that you'll have to go with a lot of hunches if you're getting a lot of hard questions?

(Aiming for 700+)
If we're weighing in with personal opinions, I've always felt that our unconscious minds are pretty clever. So, I wouldn't rule out the hunch/feeling/sense thing.

That said, it's a reasonably easy hypothesis to test. Just find a bunch of upper-level questions and keep track of your accuracy as you use your intuition to answer questions.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com
Image
Join the discussion