BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Powers

Expert replies
by nkaur » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:35 am
Hi,

I have a question regarding question 108 in the OG 12:

If t=1/2^9x5^3 is expressed as a terminating decimal, how many ezros will t have between the decimal point and the first nonzero digit to the right of the decimal point?

(A) Three
(B) Four
(C) Five
(D) Six
(E) Nine

When I started finding a solution, I wrote t= 1 x 2^-9 x 5^-3 and then wanted to multiply the whole thing to zee how many zeros the term has. However I did not succeed. When I checked the answer in the OG i understood it but I dont think I would use this method in the test. So, can someone present another way to solve this problem? It would be great if someone could tell me if "my" approach, mentioned above, can be applied to this problem at all?

Thanks a lot
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by vineeshp » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:08 am
I dont remember the question in OG.
But I think the best way to approach this is to keep rounding the values and the zeros will appear without many issues.

Problem of multiplying the whole thing is that you can lose a lot of time on that.
Vineesh,
Just telling you what I know and think. I am not the expert. :)
Join the discussion

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:25 am
nkaur wrote:Hi,

I have a question regarding question 108 in the OG 12:

If t=1/2^9x5^3 is expressed as a terminating decimal, how many ezros will t have between the decimal point and the first nonzero digit to the right of the decimal point?

(A) Three
(B) Four
(C) Five
(D) Six
(E) Nine

When I started finding a solution, I wrote t= 1 x 2^-9 x 5^-3 and then wanted to multiply the whole thing to zee how many zeros the term has. However I did not succeed. When I checked the answer in the OG i understood it but I dont think I would use this method in the test. So, can someone present another way to solve this problem? It would be great if someone could tell me if "my" approach, mentioned above, can be applied to this problem at all?

Thanks a lot
It's useful to start by looking for powers of 10 "hiding" in the product.
1/[(2^9)(5^3)] = 1/[(2^6)(2^3)(5^3)]
From here we can use the property (A^n)(B^n) = (AB)^n to rewrite (2^3)(5^3) as 10^3
So, we get 1/[(2^6)(10^3)] = 1/[(64)(1000)]
Now let's break this into the product of 2 fractions --> (1/64)(1/1000)

Let's begin with 1/64: We know that 1/10 = 0.1 and we know that 1/100 = 0.01
So, 1/64 is between 0.01 and 0.1. Let's just say that 1/64 = 0.0??? (it doesn't matter what the digits are here. All we need to know is that there is one zero to the right of the decimal point.

When we take 0.0??? and multiply by 1/1000 (or we could say we are dividing by 1000), we must move the decimal point 3 spaces to the left to get 0.0000???, which means we will have 4 zeros to the right of the decimal point before hitting the first non-zero digit.
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com
Image
Join the discussion