need suggestion

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:49 members

need suggestion

by atulmangal » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:17 am
Guys now, after taking a break from SC, i'm pushing myself hard in CR and RC...though m not that weak in CR but yes i'm weak in questions which include FORMAL LOGIC. It take me a lot of time to solve such questions which i can't afford.

Please answer my below questions:

1) GMAT test FORMAL LOGIC or NOT???

2) So far i have seen the FORMAL LOGIC questions are of "DRAW THE CONCLUSION" type i guess. Is this FORMAL LOGIC be tested in other type of questions also????

Please suggest.

Regards
Atul

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Target2009 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:29 pm
Its not very frequent but sometime you do see other type of FORMAL Logic question.
Regards
Abhishek
------------------------------
MasterGmat Student

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by ldoolitt » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:54 pm
atulmangal wrote:Guys now, after taking a break from SC, i'm pushing myself hard in CR and RC...though m not that weak in CR but yes i'm weak in questions which include FORMAL LOGIC. It take me a lot of time to solve such questions which i can't afford.

1) GMAT test FORMAL LOGIC or NOT???

2) So far i have seen the FORMAL LOGIC questions are of "DRAW THE CONCLUSION" type i guess. Is this FORMAL LOGIC be tested in other type of questions also????

Please suggest.

Regards
Atul
How are you defining "formal logic"? I would say strictly speaking that formal logic is mathematical logic which the GMAT doesn't test in as much as informal logic doesn't necessarily require formal logic (ie the GMAT doesn't require you to know set theory or what a venn diagram is).

In fact the best CR book (IMHO) doesn't mention formal logic and further doesn't really discuss common logic fallacies (such as "affirming the consequent") although it doesn't hurt to know those especially for weaken and flaw in the reasoning questions.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:164 members
GMAT Score:800

by Testluv » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:36 pm
atulmangal wrote:Guys now, after taking a break from SC, i'm pushing myself hard in CR and RC...though m not that weak in CR but yes i'm weak in questions which include FORMAL LOGIC. It take me a lot of time to solve such questions which i can't afford.

1) GMAT test FORMAL LOGIC or NOT??? NO!!!

2) So far i have seen the FORMAL LOGIC questions are of "DRAW THE CONCLUSION" type i guess. Is this FORMAL LOGIC be tested in other type of questions also???? NOT ON THE GMAT!!

Please suggest.

Regards
Atul
Kaplan Teacher in Toronto

Legendary Member
Followed by:49 members

by atulmangal » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:41 pm
Testluv wrote:

1) GMAT test FORMAL LOGIC or NOT??? NO!!!

2) So far i have seen the FORMAL LOGIC questions are of "DRAW THE CONCLUSION" type i guess. Is this FORMAL LOGIC be tested in other type of questions also???? NOT ON THE GMAT!!

Please suggest.

Regards
Atul
Thanks a lot Master...you suggestion made feel comfortable