BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

If x, y and z are consecutive, even integers...

Expert replies
by giovanni.gastone » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:49 pm
SOURCE: PrincetonReview

If x, y and z are consecutive, even integers, which of the following must be true?

I. y - z is an even integer.
II. (x + y + z) / 6 is an integer.
III. x + z = 2y

A. None
B. I only
C. I and II only
D. II and III only
E. I, II, and III

OA: E
Last edited by giovanni.gastone on Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Join the discussion
Source: — Data Sufficiency |

by giovanni.gastone » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:56 pm
This is a pretty easy question, so my question for you guys isn't about the math.

My original answer was based on the premise that while x, y, and z are consecutive, even integers, they are not necessarily ordered in ascending order (i.e., x < y < z). So, while we can definitively prove I and II, I didn't think we could definitively prove III without knowing the order. So, my original answer was C.

My question for you guys is, on the real GMAT, when faced with a question like like with the same phrasing do I assume that the order is ascending (i.e., x < y < z), or do I not?

Thank you,

Gio

======================================
PrincetonReview's Official Explanation
======================================
Yes. Plug in more than once. If x = 2, y = 4 and z = 6, I, II, and III are all true. If x = -2, y = 0 and z = 2, I, II, and III are still all true. If x = -8, y = -6 and z = -4, I, II, and III are still all true, so the answer is E.
Join the discussion

by vineeshp » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:09 pm
Veyr interesting point.

Yes you can assume I guess.
Vineesh,
Just telling you what I know and think. I am not the expert. :)
Join the discussion

by manpsingh87 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:39 pm
giovanni.gastone wrote:SOURCE: PrincetonReview

If x, y and z are consecutive, even integers, which of the following must be true?

I. y - z is an even integer.
II. (x + y + z) / 6 is an integer.
III. x + z = 2y

A. None
B. I only
C. I and II only
D. II and III only
E. I, II, and III

OA: E
let three consecutive even integers x,y,z be 2k,2k+2,2k+4 respectively..!!!

lets come directly to III. as I and II can be proved easily..!!

x+z= 2k+2k+4= 2(2k+2); x+z=2y..!!!
i hope it helps..!!!!
O Excellence... my search for you is on... you can be far.. but not beyond my reach!
Join the discussion

by giovanni.gastone » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:23 pm
manpsingh87 wrote:
let three consecutive even integers x,y,z be 2k,2k+2,2k+4 respectively..!!!

lets come directly to III. as I and II can be proved easily..!!

x+z= 2k+2k+4= 2(2k+2); x+z=2y..!!!
i hope it helps..!!!!
manpsingh87, in your logic, you're assuming that "z" is bigger (i.e. 2k+4). But, how do you know the following is wrong?

y=2k
z=2k+2
x=2k+4

in the above case, x, y, z are still consecutive, even integers. My point was that the stem only indicates that x, y, and z are consecutive but we do not know from reading it the order is such that x < y < z.

If we can assume from reading the stem that x < y < z simply given the order in which the variables appear, then if the question were posed in such a way that it says...

"If z, y, x are consecutive, even integers, which of the following must be true?" Can we assume that z < y < x? Or, do we assume that it's x < y < z? Or, is it y < x < z?

My question is about the phrasing. I want to make sure that I don't misinterpret or over-interpret on the real GMAT. If I should take the ordering of the variables as they appear then that's fine. But, if this is a problem with the way the question is phrased, then I want to make sure I don't mis-read other similar problems.

Gio
Join the discussion

by manpsingh87 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:57 pm
hi gio, interesting point and you have presented good analysis of the question. i'll try to answer your question in the best possible way i can..!!!!
you're assuming that "z" is bigger (i.e. 2k+4). But, how do you know the following is wrong?

y=2k
z=2k+2
x=2k+4

in the above case, x, y, z are still consecutive, even integers. My point was that the stem only indicates that x, y, and z are consecutive but we do not know from reading it the order is such that x < y < z
as we know x,y,z are consecutive even integers, therefore they're in a.p. having common difference of 2. i.e. y-x=z-y=2
now consider y=2k,z=2k+2 and x=2k+4; now lets just put these values in the equation y-x=2k-2k-4=-4; z-y=2k+2-2k=2; therefore x,y,z are still even integers but they are not in a.p. whereas y,z,x are in a.p.!! i.e. z-y=x-z=2; so here 2z=x+y; similarly we can also have 2x=y+z;

but since its not a Data sufficiency question therefore we have to consider the case which can be the possibility among the given set of options.!!
"If z, y, x are consecutive, even integers, which of the following must be true?" Can we assume that z < y < x? Or, do we assume that it's x < y < z? Or, is it y < x < z?
now this is a data sufficiency question, which can't be answer on the given information, off-course here we need additional information to answer the question..!!!!
Last edited by manpsingh87 on Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
O Excellence... my search for you is on... you can be far.. but not beyond my reach!
Join the discussion

by Geva@EconomistGMAT » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:40 pm
Giovanni, the GMAC cannot allow such ambiguity in a question - this could provide a basis for disputing the question by a test taker. So no, you do not need to assume it - the question should tell you in unambiguous terms that x<y<z, or any other way. I don't think this sort of nitpicking is the kind of issue they want to test, either, so a real GMAT question would close this loophole.
Geva
Senior Instructor
Master GMAT
1-888-780-GMAT
https://www.mastergmat.com
Join the discussion

by giovanni.gastone » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:55 am
Thank you Geva. This answers my question!! Thank you too manpsingh87 for your help!
Join the discussion

by Target2009 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:55 am
+1 to E
Regards
Abhishek
------------------------------
MasterGmat Student
Join the discussion