BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

OG 12th misprint? Arithmetic: Absolute value; integer ops

Expert replies
by pinaychic21 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:27 pm
I am hoping I am not driving myself nuts with all the studying and just over looking this problem:

Page 159, #50

If y is an integer, then the least possible value of |23-5y| is

A) 1
B) 2
C) 3
D) 4
E) 5

I chose E, but the book's explanation says B, though they worked the problem as I had, and the correct answer was 5 which is clearly E. Am I in the twilight zone??
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by Anurag@Gurome » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:35 pm
pinaychic21 wrote:I am hoping I am not driving myself nuts with all the studying and just over looking this problem:

Page 159, #50

If y is an integer, then the least possible value of |23-5y| is

A) 1
B) 2
C) 3
D) 4
E) 5

I chose E, but the book's explanation says B, though they worked the problem as I had, and the correct answer was 5 which is clearly E. Am I in the twilight zone??
Obviously, l23-5yl is least when 5y is closest to 23.
Multiple of 5 closest to 23 is 25 and this makes y as 5.
Or l23-5yl is least as l23-25l = 2.
Answer is B).
Last edited by Anurag@Gurome on Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anurag Mairal, Ph.D., MBA
GMAT Expert, Admissions and Career Guidance
Gurome, Inc.
1-800-566-4043 (USA)

Join Our Facebook Groups
GMAT with Gurome
https://www.facebook.com/groups/272466352793633/
Admissions with Gurome
https://www.facebook.com/groups/461459690536574/
Career Advising with Gurome
https://www.facebook.com/groups/360435787349781/
Join the discussion

by yellowho » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:36 pm
its not asking y, its asking for the lowest value of |23-5y|.

plug in 5 for y and you get 2.
Join the discussion

by pinaychic21 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:09 pm
Anurag@Gurome wrote:
pinaychic21 wrote:I am hoping I am not driving myself nuts with all the studying and just over looking this problem:

Page 159, #50

If y is an integer, then the least possible value of |23-5y| is

A) 1
B) 2
C) 3
D) 4
E) 5

I chose E, but the book's explanation says B, though they worked the problem as I had, and the correct answer was 5 which is clearly E. Am I in the twilight zone??
Obviously, l23-5yl is least when 5y is closest to 23.
Multiple of 5 closest to 23 is 25 and this makes y as 5.
Or l23-5yl is least as l23-25l = 2.
Answer is B).
Thanks, there I go not reading the explanation properly again =/
Join the discussion

by sanju09 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:51 pm
pinaychic21 wrote:I am hoping I am not driving myself nuts with all the studying and just over looking this problem:

Page 159, #50

If y is an integer, then the least possible value of |23-5y| is

A) 1
B) 2
C) 3
D) 4
E) 5

I chose E, but the book's explanation says B, though they worked the problem as I had, and the correct answer was 5 which is clearly E. Am I in the twilight zone??
Since 23 is not a multiple of 5 hence no integer for y can turn 23 - 5 y equal to zero, but we can still look for the multiple of 5 that is closest to 23. Do not take 20 as 5 y for the minimization, take 25 rather, because |23 - 20| = 3 whereas |23 - 25| =[spoiler]2.



B
[/spoiler]
The mind is everything. What you think you become. -Lord Buddha



Sanjeev K Saxena
Quantitative Instructor
The Princeton Review - Manya Abroad
Lucknow-226001

www.manyagroup.com
Join the discussion