BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Difficult geometry problem

Expert replies
Source: — Problem Solving |

by anshumishra » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:46 pm
garuhape wrote:I'm not sure how to solve it. The explanation is very difficult. I hope that someone can give an easy one.

Image

Thanks
Should be B
Check out the solution :-
Image
Thanks
Anshu

(Every mistake is a lesson learned )
Join the discussion

by Night reader » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:50 pm
hi, let me attach less attractive pic here :)

take your ABC square as height*base/2 where height is x (unknown), base is BC --> x*(2+1)/2
3x/2=30 (this one is given as square of ABC), x=20 ok? so we know the height -HUREY
now switch to ADC - we need height here, and it doesn't matter where the height falls on line (i.e. at which point, what matters is the direction of height towards our base in ADC, base here is DC), we have height=20
20*1/2=10

answer B :) oppps
garuhape wrote:I'm not sure how to solve it. The explanation is very difficult. I hope that someone can give an easy one.

Thanks
Attachments
dr02.JPG
My knowledge frontiers came to evolve the GMATPill's methods - the credited study means to boost the Verbal competence. I really like their videos, especially for RC, CR and SC. You do check their study methods at https://www.gmatpill.com
Join the discussion

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:17 pm
garuhape wrote:I'm not sure how to solve it. The explanation is very difficult. I hope that someone can give an easy one.

Image

Thanks
Since the only conditions are that BD=2, that DC=1, and that the area of ABC = 30, we can redraw ABC as a right triangle that satisfies all the conditions given:

Image

Area of ADC = 1/2*b*h = 1/2*1*20 = 10.

The correct answer is B.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3
Join the discussion

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:10 pm
A helpful take-away:

When a triangle is split into two smaller triangles by drawing a line segment from one vertex to the opposite side:

The ratio of the areas of the two smaller triangles = the ratio of the lengths of the two line segments created in the opposite side.

Here's proof:

Image

The figure above shows that Area of ADB: Area of ADC = BD:DC = x:y.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3
Join the discussion

by Night reader » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:31 pm
my small takeways:
- since the square of triangle is the function of height*base/2, the triangles positioned in the same plan (XY) can be measured by the height property and the baseline angles;
- for the triangles positioned inf different planes (XYZ), the projections of the height of triangles and their baseline angles -90` could be helpful for comparing their squares.
:)
My knowledge frontiers came to evolve the GMATPill's methods - the credited study means to boost the Verbal competence. I really like their videos, especially for RC, CR and SC. You do check their study methods at https://www.gmatpill.com
Join the discussion

by garuhape » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:15 am
Thanks Guys,

I had the following idea: we know that the base is split into two parts (1/3 and 2/3). Can't we therefore just split the are by this ratio?

Cheers
Join the discussion

by Night reader » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:41 am
i think it's quite possible since the vertices from where the heights fall onto bases indicate that the heights are equal, so we just keep the ratio of bases for deducing the square of triangle ADC
garuhape wrote:Thanks Guys,

I had the following idea: we know that the base is split into two parts (1/3 and 2/3). Can't we therefore just split the are by this ratio?

Cheers
My knowledge frontiers came to evolve the GMATPill's methods - the credited study means to boost the Verbal competence. I really like their videos, especially for RC, CR and SC. You do check their study methods at https://www.gmatpill.com
Join the discussion